all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#24088: emacs 25.0.95; display problems in terminal emulator after unicode wheelcair symbol
@ 2016-07-27 16:32 Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2016-07-27 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 24088

Dear Emacs developers,

with this (see below) recently build emacs -Q -nw in an xterm /
urxvt (this does not happen in a graphical frame) enter this
Text:

Zwangsräumung von HG♿M99

The symbol between "HG" and "M99" is the unicode wheelchair symbol.

With point at the wheelchair symbol hit C-f: The cursor moves not to the
"M" but to the left "9".  This gives problems in the rest of the line
when one for instance swaps characters with C-t.  When doing so a few
times it's hard to tell if it's a display problem or if the letters are
swapped around.

The problem is also visible at the line between windows (see attached
screen shot).  This happens when hitting C-l.

Is this an emacs bug, a terminal emulators bug or a bug of the font used?

Thanks for looking into this, Gregor

P.S.: Totally unrelated to this emacs problem: HG is a person who needs to use
a wheelchair, M99 is a shop in Berlin/Kreuzberg HG runs and in which he
also lives.  His forcefull eviction is scheduled for 9th of August.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.95.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.6)
 of 2016-07-24 built on len
Repository revision: 0e646c73f57fc50de36ef659ead9a94968f8cba7
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs-snapshot
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-checking
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=gtk3'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: POSIX
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
kill-line: End of buffer [2 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Undo! [26 times]
scroll-down-command: Beginning of buffer [5 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
next-line: End of buffer
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra
help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib term/xterm xterm
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 93560 5294)
 (symbols 48 20054 0)
 (miscs 40 51 171)
 (strings 32 15184 4315)
 (string-bytes 1 431177)
 (vectors 16 9893)
 (vector-slots 8 387568 16181)
 (floats 8 171 814)
 (intervals 56 409 13)
 (buffers 976 22)
 (heap 1024 24251 706))

[-- Attachment #2: ragged-line-between-emacs-windows.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 171097 bytes --]

* bug#24088: emacs 25.0.95; display problems in terminal emulator after unicode wheelcair symbol
@ 2016-07-27 17:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-07-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 24088

> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:32:11 +0200
> From: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>
>
> with this (see below) recently build emacs -Q -nw in an xterm /
> urxvt (this does not happen in a graphical frame) enter this
> Text:
>

> Zwangsräumung von HG♿M99
>

> The symbol between "HG" and "M99" is the unicode wheelchair symbol.
>
> With point at the wheelchair symbol hit C-f: The cursor moves not to the
> "M" but to the left "9".  This gives problems in the rest of the line
> when one for instance swaps characters with C-t.  When doing so a few
> times it's hard to tell if it's a display problem or if the letters are
> swapped around.
>
> The problem is also visible at the line between windows (see attached
> screen shot).  This happens when hitting C-l.
>

> Is this an emacs bug, a terminal emulators bug or a bug of the font used?

This character is marked as "wide" in the Unicode database, so Emacs
thinks it takes up 2 columns.

* bug#24088: emacs 25.0.95; display problems in terminal emulator after unicode wheelcair symbol
@ 2016-07-27 17:51   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-07-27 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: 24088, telegraph

> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:34:23 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: 24088@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:32:11 +0200
> > From: Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net>
> >
> > with this (see below) recently build emacs -Q -nw in an xterm /
> > urxvt (this does not happen in a graphical frame) enter this
> > Text:
> >

> > Zwangsräumung von HG♿M99
> >

> > The symbol between "HG" and "M99" is the unicode wheelchair symbol.
> >
> > With point at the wheelchair symbol hit C-f: The cursor moves not to the
> > "M" but to the left "9".  This gives problems in the rest of the line
> > when one for instance swaps characters with C-t.  When doing so a few
> > times it's hard to tell if it's a display problem or if the letters are
> > swapped around.
> >
> > The problem is also visible at the line between windows (see attached
> > screen shot).  This happens when hitting C-l.
> >

> > Is this an emacs bug, a terminal emulators bug or a bug of the font used?
>
> This character is marked as "wide" in the Unicode database, so Emacs
> thinks it takes up 2 columns.

Perhaps Handa-san (CC'ed) could look into this issue.  AFAICT, Emacs
correctly marks the character as wide, but then I'm not sure how this
indication should be taken into account while writing the text to the
TTY.

Thanks.

* bug#24088: emacs 25.0.95; display problems in terminal emulator after unicode wheelcair symbol
@ 2021-07-06 17:41 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-06 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 24088

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> with this (see below) recently build emacs -Q -nw in an xterm /
> urxvt (this does not happen in a graphical frame) enter this
> Text:
>
> Zwangsräumung von HG♿M99
>
> The symbol between "HG" and "M99" is the unicode wheelchair symbol.
>
> With point at the wheelchair symbol hit C-f: The cursor moves not to the
> "M" but to the left "9".

I'm unable to reproduce this issue on Debian/bullseye with Emacs 25.1
(or Emacs 28).  Are you still seeing this problem?

* bug#24088: emacs 25.0.95; display problems in terminal emulator after unicode wheelcair symbol
@ 2021-07-06 21:43   ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2021-07-06 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 24088

Hi Lars,
* Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> [2021-07-06; 19:41]:
> Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:
>> with this (see below) recently build emacs -Q -nw in an xterm /
>> urxvt (this does not happen in a graphical frame) enter this
>> Text:
>>
>> Zwangsräumung von HG♿M99
>>
>> The symbol between "HG" and "M99" is the unicode wheelchair symbol.
>>
>> With point at the wheelchair symbol hit C-f: The cursor moves not to the
>> "M" but to the left "9".
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this issue on Debian/bullseye with Emacs 25.1
> (or Emacs 28).  Are you still seeing this problem?

No I do not see this behavior anymore with Debian Buster
10.10 and emacs 28.50 nore emacs 26.1.  I Tested with urxvt
and xterm (which does not show a wheelchair but behaves ok).
Interestingly in urxvt it looks different from my screenshot
for the bug report: Now it's a Widersprüche character and
there is more empty space left and right of the wheelchair.
Cursor movements are OK.

Thanks for looking into this.
Please close this bug report.

Ciao; Gregor
--

* bug#24088: emacs 25.0.95; display problems in terminal emulator after unicode wheelcair symbol
@ 2021-07-06 21:54     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-07-06 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: 24088

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Thanks for looking into this.
> Please close this bug report.

Thanks for checking; I'm closing the report then.