all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* select tab by name regardless of which frame it's on?
@ 2021-09-28 14:12 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-09-28 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

I'm using tab-bar-mode with exwm so each monitor corresponds to a
separate frame and therefore has its own set of tabs.

I can switch between tabs with tab-bar-select-tab-by-name within a given
frame/monitor but I would love to be able to switch to a tab on any
monitor regardless of which frame is active.  Is this possible?

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.5 on Debian 11.0

* Re: select tab by name regardless of which frame it's on?
@ 2021-10-01 18:29 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2021-10-01 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello all,
>
> I'm using tab-bar-mode with exwm so each monitor corresponds to a
> separate frame and therefore has its own set of tabs.
>
> I can switch between tabs with tab-bar-select-tab-by-name within a given
> frame/monitor but I would love to be able to switch to a tab on any
> monitor regardless of which frame is active.  Is this possible?

It should be possible but I don't see anything already existing
providing that functionality: tab-bar.el deals only with frame-local
tabs I think. You'd have to write your own function, looping over
frames, gathering tab names for each frame and adding them to the
completion list. Choosing a tab would involve checking the frame of
the selected tab and selecting that frame (if different), before
selecting the tab.

"Just a small matter of programming" :-)

A cursory search around the interwebs did not uncover anything
promising.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: select tab by name regardless of which frame it's on?
@ 2021-10-02 11:33   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-02 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday,  1 Oct 2021 at 14:29, Nick Dokos wrote:
> "Just a small matter of programming" :-)

;-)

> A cursory search around the interwebs did not uncover anything
> promising.

Yeah, I did look ahead of asking here but I also did not find anything.

Okay, a programming task it is.  I may be some time... :-)

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.5 on Debian 11.0