all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp crazy, starts automatically on startup
@ 2022-08-13 23:49 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-13 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tramp has gone crazy, it starts automatically on startup!

Here is some other poor soul having the same issue, what he
uses tho and how he solves, that doesn't ring a bell.

"Very annoying" no kidding, what IS this???

  Tramp tries to connect to remote hosts on emacs startup

  This happens when you used ido to browse directories on
  a remote host and it saved them in `ido-dir-file-cache`.
  Ido will then save this cache to
  `ido-save-directory-list-file` which is loaded when emacs
  starts up. You can use the following code to clean the cache
  of tramp entries when emacs quits:

  (defun ido-remove-tramp-from-cache nil
    "Remove any TRAMP entries from `ido-dir-file-cache'.
    This stops tramp from trying to connect to remote hosts on emacs startup,
    which can be very annoying."
    (interactive)
    (setq ido-dir-file-cache
          (cl-remove-if
           (lambda (x)
             (string-match "/\\(rsh\\|ssh\\|telnet\\|su\\|sudo\\|sshx\\|krlogin\\|ksu\\|rcp\\|scp\\|rsync\\|scpx\\|fcp\\|nc\\|ftp\\|smb\\|adb\\):" (car x)))
           ido-dir-file-cache)))
  ;; redefine `ido-kill-emacs-hook' so that cache is cleaned before being saved
  (defun ido-kill-emacs-hook ()
    (ido-remove-tramp-from-cache)
    (ido-save-history))

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampMode

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Tramp bashing (was: Tramp crazy, starts automatically on startup)
@ 2022-08-14  8:24 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-08-14  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

Hi Emanuel,

> Tramp has gone crazy, it starts automatically on startup!
>
> Here is some other poor soul having the same issue, what he
> uses tho and how he solves, that doesn't ring a bell.

Could you pls explain why "Tramp has gone crazy"? It simply does its
job, as indicated by saved history files.

Does it still "go crazy" when you start "emacs -Q"? If not, pls blame
somebody else.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Tramp bashing (was: Tramp crazy, starts automatically on startup)
@ 2022-08-14 18:04   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-14 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus wrote:

>> Here is some other poor soul having the same issue, what he
>> uses tho and how he solves, that doesn't ring a bell.
>
> Could you pls explain why "Tramp has gone crazy"? It simply
> does its job, as indicated by saved history files.

How do I disable this feature?

It says use `tramp-cleanup-this-connection', however the next
time I start Emacs the same thing happens again?

--

@ 2022-08-15  4:32     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-08-15  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 08:04:02PM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
> >> Here is some other poor soul having the same issue, what he
> >> uses tho and how he solves, that doesn't ring a bell.
> >
> > Could you pls explain why "Tramp has gone crazy"? It simply
> > does its job, as indicated by saved history files.
>
> How do I disable this feature?
>
> It says use `tramp-cleanup-this-connection', however the next
> time I start Emacs the same thing happens again?

Don't focus on Tramp. Focus on whatever is invoking Tramp in
the first place (it was a session-y thing, as far as I remember?).
The "cleanup connection" thing is just a symptom way downstream of
the cause.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Tramp bashing (was: Tramp crazy, starts automatically on startup)
@ 2022-08-15  4:47       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-15  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

> The "cleanup connection" thing is just a symptom way
> downstream of the cause.

It would seem so (because it didn't work to clean it up if
that's what happened) but then it just makes it more
confusing, why does it say so?

Anyway it stopped! I don't know why.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Tramp bashing
@ 2022-08-15  8:19     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-08-15  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>> Could you pls explain why "Tramp has gone crazy"? It simply
>> does its job, as indicated by saved history files.
>
> How do I disable this feature?
>
> It says use `tramp-cleanup-this-connection', however the next
> time I start Emacs the same thing happens again?

tramp-cleanup-this-connection is just for the running Emacs session. If
you leave Emacs, and a package saves some information to activate Tramp
this way or another, Tramp will be invoked again, when you start Emacs.

I would look in the saved init files for the different packages for a
remote file name syntax.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Tramp bashing
@ 2022-08-15 10:59       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-15 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus wrote:

> I would look in the saved init files for the different
> packages for a remote file name syntax.

The saved init files?

--

@ 2022-08-15 13:03         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-08-15 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

Hi Emanuel,

>> I would look in the saved init files for the different
>> packages for a remote file name syntax.
>
> The saved init files?

Something like "~/.emacs.d/recentf", if you use recentf. Or similar
files from other packages.

Best regards, Michael.