There are certainly some best practices for doing something. But what are the best practices for writing and maintaining an Emacs package? Here are what I already know, For programming in general, * Write readable code, so that anyone else can also understand it. * Write enough comments to explain what's going on. * Write as many automated tests as possible. * Use a version control system. * Maintain a ChangeLog. * Never publish code with syntax errors. * Never throw out your computer through a window due to buggy code. For Emacs packages, * Write the summary line properly. * Write package headers properly. * Use lexical binding. * Write good commentary. * Define user options with `defcustom' instead of `defvar'. * Write docstrings. * Follow Emacs Lisp coding conventions. * Never corrupt user data. * Never left Emacs in a unusable state. * Never uninstall Emacs due to frustration. And what else? -- Akib Azmain Turja Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social, and on Codeberg (user "akib"). This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key. Its fingerprint is: 7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6 66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5