Stefan Monnier via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" writes: > `prin1` will have its share of downsides, I guess, but when printing > "arbitrary data", it's definitely a safer choice than `princ` which > is rarely the right thing (except when printing strings, obviously). I hope you only mean strings that contain the printed representation of an object. Our `pp--insert-lisp' prints strings in the argument with `prin1' (of course). > This said, I don't see the connection with printing small numbers as > chars. There is none - but we constantly keep replacing every single `princ' with `prin1' in that function, one after the other, so I suggest to switch to `prin1' for all objects and see if anything remains where that behaves unintuitively. > To print chars using the ELisp syntax you need `prin1-char`: AFAIK > neither `prin1` nor `princ` work (at all). Thanks for that comment - I updated the patch to use `prin1-char':