all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-24 13:39 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2024-08-24 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 72791

Hello,

when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).

I don't know if it is a misfeature of Lucid or an emacs bug.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-06-23 built on IPad-S340
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Linux Mint 21.3

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O8 --bindir=/usr/local/sbin/emacs-29.3 --with-cairo
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-modules --without-tree-sitter
 --without-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: 

Minor modes in effect:
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  emms-mode-line-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-display-mode: t
  emms-playing-time-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  psession-savehist-mode: t
  register-preview-mode: t
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  tv-save-place-mode: t
  helm-epa-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  helm-ff-icon-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow epa-mail face-remap mail-extr addressbook-bookmark
tv-mu4e-config gnus-and-mu4e mu4e-patch mu4e-contrib eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main smtpmail
mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill hl-line mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window bookmark ido
mu4e-obsolete emacsbug helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug debug
backtrace helm-info smerge-mode diff view image-file image-converter
emms-config emms-idapi-browser emms-idapi emms-idapi-musicbrainz
emms-mpris emms-librefm-stream emms-librefm-scrobbler
emms-playlist-limit emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-volume emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl
emms-volume-pulse emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-lyrics emms-url emms-streams
emms-show-all emms-tag-editor emms-tag-tracktag emms-mark emms-mode-line
emms-cache emms-info-native emms-info-native-spc emms-info-native-mp3
emms-info-native-ogg emms-info-native-opus emms-info-native-flac
emms-info-native-vorbis bindat emms-info-exiftool emms-info-tinytag
emms-info-metaflac emms-info-opusinfo emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mpv
emms-playing-time emms-info emms-later-do emms-player-mplayer
emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist emms-source-file locate
emms-setup emms emms-compat emms-auto helm-external helm-net
tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache time-stamp zeroconf ffap
helm-ls-git vc-git diff-mode vc vc-dispatcher make-mode python conf-mode
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile avl-tree generator oc-basic
cl-extra ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org-config ob-gnuplot org-crypt org-protocol org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs find-func org-version org-compat org-macs yank-media
markdown-mode color noutline outline flymake-shellcheck cus-start
flymake-proc flymake project warnings thingatpt sh-script smie treesit
executable bug-reference naquadah-theme solar cal-dst holidays
holiday-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs server imenu psession frameset register-preview pcase
git-gutter mule-util dired-extension time winner describe-variable
help-fns radix-tree help-mode tv-utils tv-save-place.el advice init-helm
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config helm-epa helm-descbinds cus-edit pp
icons wid-edit helm-sys helm-adaptive helm-mode helm-misc helm-files
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg
image-mode exif filenotify tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat rx shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 time-date helm-buffers all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
wgrep-helm wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ring
helm-regexp format-spec ansi-color helm-utils helm-help helm-types
helm-extensions-autoloads helm-autoloads helm helm-global-bindings
helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core async-bytecomp helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired-async async dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs isl-autoloads mb-depth avoid cus-load gcmh easy-mmode
all-the-icons-autoloads info ledger-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads request-autoloads w3m-load
w3m-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 622779 267540)
 (symbols 48 38173 14)
 (strings 32 217746 34780)
 (string-bytes 1 6801209)
 (vectors 16 81839)
 (vector-slots 8 1842673 491131)
 (floats 8 2349 1859)
 (intervals 56 3472 281)
 (buffers 976 136))
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Thierry

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  2:32 ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-08-25  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 72791

Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
> x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
> The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
> doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).
>
> I don't know if it is a misfeature of Lucid or an emacs bug.

lwlib doesn't support this feature.  I suggest building with Motif.

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  5:07   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2024-08-25  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Thierry Volpiatto, 72791

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
>> x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
>> The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
>> doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).
>>
>> I don't know if it is a misfeature of Lucid or an emacs bug.
>
> lwlib doesn't support this feature.

Thanks for the info, it is what I wanted to know.

> I suggest building with Motif.

Motif seems to have the same problem, quite different though, the
beginning of text is shown (title and next candidates) but the end is
not shown (normal it is out of screen) and we can't scroll further,
only gtk allow moving up and down in the list of candidates.
As with lwlib, I guess it is not supported by motif and out of emacs scope.

--
Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  6:06   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-25  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: thievol, 72791

> Cc: 72791@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 10:32:47 +0800
> From:  Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
> > x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
> > The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
> > doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).
> >
> > I don't know if it is a misfeature of Lucid or an emacs bug.
>
> lwlib doesn't support this feature.  I suggest building with Motif.

OK, but why (window-height)?  Is the intent to the frame height, or
the height of the screen, perhaps?  I don't understand why the height
of the menu should be limited by the window.

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  6:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-25  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 72791

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 13:39:34 +0000
>
> when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
> x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
> The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
> doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).

Which menu was too long?  Is it a menu generated by a core Emacs
feature or by 3rd-party package?

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  6:28     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2024-08-25  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Po Lu, thievol, 72791

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Cc: 72791@debbugs.gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 10:32:47 +0800
>> From:  Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
>> > x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
>> > The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
>> > doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).
>> >
>> > I don't know if it is a misfeature of Lucid or an emacs bug.
>>
>> lwlib doesn't support this feature.  I suggest building with Motif.
>
> OK, but why (window-height)?  Is the intent to the frame height, or
> the height of the screen, perhaps?  I don't understand why the height
> of the menu should be limited by the window.

Yes, you are right, I meant the height of the screen.

--
Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  6:31   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2024-08-25  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Thierry Volpiatto, 72791

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
>> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 13:39:34 +0000
>>
>> when Emacs is built with "--with-x-toolkit=lucid" a menu displayed by
>> x-popup-menu and larger than (window-height) doesn't have a scroll bar.
>> The part which is shown is the center part (first lines and last lines
>> doesn't appear).  This doesn't happen with a default build (gtk).
>
> Which menu was too long?  Is it a menu generated by a core Emacs
> feature or by 3rd-party package?

A menu in Helm, screenshots attached, the first is with Lucid and the
other with Gtk.

--
Thierry

[-- Attachment #1.2: Capture d’écran_2024-08-24_16-12-40.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 327289 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: Capture d’écran_2024-08-24_16-37-44.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 275385 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  6:48     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-25  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 72791

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
> Cc: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>,  72791@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 06:31:49 +0000
>
> > Which menu was too long?  Is it a menu generated by a core Emacs
> > feature or by 3rd-party package?
>
> A menu in Helm, screenshots attached, the first is with Lucid and the
> other with Gtk.

Given this limitation of Lucid, my suggestion would be to organize the
menu into a multilevel menu by grouping related items, to make the
top-level menu shorter.

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  6:49       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-25  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: luangruo, 72791

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
> Cc: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>,  thievol@posteo.net,  72791@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 06:28:54 +0000

> >> lwlib doesn't support this feature.  I suggest building with Motif.
> >
> > OK, but why (window-height)?  Is the intent to the frame height, or
> > the height of the screen, perhaps?  I don't understand why the height
> > of the menu should be limited by the window.
>
> Yes, you are right, I meant the height of the screen.

OK, thanks.

I've added a PROBLEMS entry about this, and I think we should close
this bug with that.

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  7:53       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2024-08-25  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Thierry Volpiatto, 72791

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
>> Cc: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>,  72791@debbugs.gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 06:31:49 +0000
>>
>> > Which menu was too long?  Is it a menu generated by a core Emacs
>> > feature or by 3rd-party package?
>>
>> A menu in Helm, screenshots attached, the first is with Lucid and the
>> other with Gtk.
>
> Given this limitation of Lucid, my suggestion would be to organize the
> menu into a multilevel menu by grouping related items, to make the
> top-level menu shorter.

Didn't know it was even possible, I will try this, thanks.

--
Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-25  7:54         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2024-08-25  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Thierry Volpiatto, luangruo, 72791

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
>> Cc: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>,  thievol@posteo.net,  72791@debbugs.gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 06:28:54 +0000

>> > OK, but why (window-height)?  Is the intent to the frame height, or
>> > the height of the screen, perhaps?  I don't understand why the height
>> > of the menu should be limited by the window.
>>
>> Yes, you are right, I meant the height of the screen.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> I've added a PROBLEMS entry about this, and I think we should close
> this bug with that.

For me it is ok to close, thanks for your help.

--
Thierry

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#72791: 29.4; x-popup-menu in emacs built with lucid xtoolkit can't scroll
@ 2024-08-29 11:45           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-29 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: luangruo, 72791-done

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>
> Cc: Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>,  luangruo@yahoo.com,
>   72791@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 07:54:16 +0000
>
> > I've added a PROBLEMS entry about this, and I think we should close
> > this bug with that.
>
> For me it is ok to close, thanks for your help.

Thanks, closing.