all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Let clause with defvar
@ 2024-09-04  0:49 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-09-04  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Consider two versions of setting  xiakos.  The let defines local bindings.
Can the let block be placed outside a defvar or inside.  Does it make a
difference ?  Although defvar is used to define global variables, can it
be used to evaluating local bindings like let ?  Which version would one
suggest ?

(let ( (orella-waypt
           (questor-path-snip marshal-waypt "orella")) )

  (defvar xiakos
    `( ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos"))
       ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos")) ))

and

(defvar xiakos

  (let ( (orella-waypt (questor-path-snip marshal-waypt "orella")) )

    `( ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos"))
       ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos")) ))

* Re: Let clause with defvar
@ 2024-09-05 10:32 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-09-05 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> Consider two versions of setting  xiakos.  The let defines local bindings.
> Can the let block be placed outside a defvar or inside.  Does it make a
> difference ?  Although defvar is used to define global variables, can it
> be used to evaluating local bindings like let ?  Which version would one
> suggest ?
>
> (let ( (orella-waypt
>            (questor-path-snip marshal-waypt "orella")) )
>
>   (defvar xiakos
>     `( ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos"))
>        ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos")) ))
>
> and
>
> (defvar xiakos
>
>   (let ( (orella-waypt (questor-path-snip marshal-waypt "orella")) )
>
>     `( ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos"))
>        ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos")) ))

I'd place the `let' inside the `defvar', because it makes it easier to
evaluate the value manually without changing the value of the variable.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on siskin

* Let clause with defvar
@ 2024-09-05 11:33   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-09-05 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Thursday, September 5th, 2024 at 10:32 PM, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > Consider two versions of setting xiakos. The let defines local bindings.
> > Can the let block be placed outside a defvar or inside. Does it make a
> > difference ? Although defvar is used to define global variables, can it
> > be used to evaluating local bindings like let ? Which version would one
> > suggest ?
> >
> > (let ( (orella-waypt
> > (questor-path-snip marshal-waypt "orella")) )
> >
> > (defvar xiakos
> > `( ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos"))
> > ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos")) ))
> >
> > and
> >
> > (defvar xiakos
> >
> > (let ( (orella-waypt (questor-path-snip marshal-waypt "orella")) )
> >
> > `( ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos"))
> > ("GLXKS" . ,(concat orella-waypt "/xiakos")) ))
>

> I'd place the `let' inside the` defvar', because it makes it easier to
> evaluate the value manually without changing the value of the variable.

Can you clarify what you are talking about ?  What would one want to evaluate ?