In GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2001-12-07 on raven, modified by Debian configured using `configure i386-debian-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-gif' Important settings: value of $LC_ALL: nil value of $LC_COLLATE: nil value of $LC_CTYPE: nil value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil value of $LC_MONETARY: nil value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil value of $LC_TIME: nil value of $LANG: C locale-coding-system: nil default-enable-multibyte-characters: t I noticed in Info mode pressing "i" to do an index search for a C function often doesn't leave point at the right place in the node. For example in the glibc manual, "i write" leaves point with the mention of `write' at the top of the node, rather than the "Function" definition part. I think the regexp in Info-find-index-name doesn't account for a return type with a function definition. Perhaps a looser search could be added, per below.