all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-04  2:08 Steve Quezadas
From: Steve Quezadas @ 2003-02-04  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hsa anyone ever used console emacs in Slackware? For whatever reason, the
"alt" key works in some scenarios, but not others. For example "alt-x"
works, but "alt-shift-%" or "alt-shift->" doesn't work.

Anyone know what's wrong?

- Steve

* Re: Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-04  3:56 ` Jean-Pierre Moreau
From: Jean-Pierre Moreau @ 2003-02-04  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Quezadas <steveeq2@tripperjones.com> wrote
on  04 Feb 2003 02:08:19 GMT:

> Hsa anyone ever used console emacs in Slackware? For whatever reason, the
> "alt" key works in some scenarios, but not others. For example "alt-x"
> works, but "alt-shift-%" or "alt-shift->" doesn't work.

See my answer to your same question in comp.emacs.
Please do not multipost, at the most do cross-post.
This way other Usenet (old me!) users will know about
your post.

--
Jean-Pierre Moreau  not@inexist (s/not/jpm-qc/; s/inexist/jpm-qc/)
An image is worth 1000 words.

* Re: Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-07  2:17 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-02-07  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Quezadas <steveeq2@tripperjones.com> writes:

> Hsa anyone ever used console emacs in Slackware? For whatever reason, the
> "alt" key works in some scenarios, but not others. For example "alt-x"
> works, but "alt-shift-%" or "alt-shift->" doesn't work.
>
> Anyone know what's wrong?
>
> - Steve
Those things won't wash in the console. Console is ASCII. In ASCII
alt(meta) and control characters only exist in one case, so they can't
be shifted. This is all very annoying unless you have a real ASCII
serial terminal (like me) connected to your computer. But nobody ever
bothered to do anything about this (probably for backwards compatibilities sake).

Bijan

* Re: Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-07  5:51   ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-02-07  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> But nobody ever
> bothered to do anything about this (probably for backwards compatibilities
> sake).

rxvt has way more available key combinations, although still not as many as in
X Windows.  `xterm-mouse-mode' even gives you mouse support.

--
Le

* Re: Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-07 17:22   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-07 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> Those things won't wash in the console. Console is ASCII. In ASCII
> alt(meta) and control characters only exist in one case, so they can't
> be shifted.

Well, you can use the function keys in the console because they send
some kind of escape sequence -- I'm sure more escape sequences for
the missing key combos could be added to some console
implementations, and then Emacs could be taught about them, and then
Steve would be a happy camper.

--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-07 20:04     ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-02-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Wang <lewang(at@)yahoo.com> writes:

> Bijan Soleymani wrote:
>
> > But nobody ever
> > bothered to do anything about this (probably for backwards compatibilities
> > sake).
>
> rxvt has way more available key combinations, although still not as many as in
> X Windows.  `xterm-mouse-mode' even gives you mouse support.
He is running in the console, not in xwindows. I don't think it is
possible to use rxvt or xterm without Xwindows.

Bijan

* Re: Using emacs in slackware
@ 2003-02-07 20:06     ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-02-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:
>
> > Those things won't wash in the console. Console is ASCII. In ASCII
> > alt(meta) and control characters only exist in one case, so they can't
> > be shifted.
>
> Well, you can use the function keys in the console because they send
> some kind of escape sequence -- I'm sure more escape sequences for
> the missing key combos could be added to some console
> implementations, and then Emacs could be taught about them, and then
> Steve would be a happy camper.

Yes I said later on in my post that noone had bothered to fix the
problem. I didn't say it was impossible to fix. However fixing it
would give features to the console that would be "impossible" on a
real ascii text terminal.

Bijan