all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* non-sourcecode log files
@ 2003-10-28 15:35 John Kodis
From: John Kodis @ 2003-10-28 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to find a mode similar to that provided by the add-log and
log-edit packages which are used to maintain ChangeLog files, except
without the specialization toward logging changes to source files.  If
there were a way to have a log file recognized as a file that should
be edited in changelog mode, to create a new log entry each time the
file is opened, and to disable the automatic insertion of a filename
at the beginning of each log entry, that would probably be all that I
need.

I've investigated diary mode, but that seems geared toward maintaining
calendar entries rather than what I think of as a diary.

--
John Kodis                                    Goddard Space Flight Center
kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov                      Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

* Re: non-sourcecode log files
@ 2003-12-04 19:39 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Kodis <kodis@mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> I've investigated diary mode, but that seems geared toward maintaining
> calendar entries rather than what I think of as a diary.

I can think of steno-mode.  I think that's what it was called.

But it seems that maybe something extremely simple such as

(defun john-add-diary ()
  (interactive)
  (find-file "~/johns-diary")
  (end-of-buffer)
  (newline)
  (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d ")))

might do something you like.