all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RMAIL and SSL?
@ 2003-11-05 18:45 Stephen H. Westin
From: Stephen H. Westin @ 2003-11-05 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the last 15 years or so, I've used RMAIL to read mail on a variety
of machines: Symbolics, Sun, SGI, HP, Mac, Windows. Now our systems
staff says they want to eliminate all cleartext passwords going over
our network, so they will soon require all POP/IMAP connections to go
through SSL.

So is there a way to use RMAIL/POP through SSL? Is code available?
Will I be forced to switch to GNUS or VM? If so, which will be the
least disruptive migration? I would like to keep using POP3 for the
moment if I can, as I'm using POPFile as a spam filter.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

* Re: RMAIL and SSL?
@ 2003-11-06  0:06 ` Andrew Koenig
From: Andrew Koenig @ 2003-11-06  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So is there a way to use RMAIL/POP through SSL? Is code available?

I have not tried this personally, but I suspect that Stunnel might be able
to help.
See www.stunnel.org for details.

* Re: RMAIL and SSL?
@ 2003-12-07 15:23 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) writes:

> So is there a way to use RMAIL/POP through SSL? Is code available?
> Will I be forced to switch to GNUS or VM? If so, which will be the
> least disruptive migration? I would like to keep using POP3 for the
> moment if I can, as I'm using POPFile as a spam filter.

I think you could just fetch your mail with fetchmail.  I think that
program speaks APOP and SSL.  You can tell fetchmail to put the mail
in a file, and then RMAIL to get it from there.

If you use another email program, then I'm sure that VM is closer to
RMAIL than Gnus.

Kai