all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how do I step through buffers
@ 2004-10-26 18:44 Billy N. Patton
From: Billy N. Patton @ 2004-10-26 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking at my GNU Emacs pocket reference.

I know I can C-x C-b and get a list of buffers, select the one I want
then hit a CR.

Is there a way I can just step from buffer to buffer without going
through a list buffers command?

--
    ___  _ ____       ___       __  __
   / _ )(_) / /_ __  / _ \___ _/ /_/ /____  ___

* Re: how do I step through buffers
@ 2004-10-26 19:05 ` Sebastian Luque
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2004-10-26 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy N. Patton wrote:

> I'm looking at my GNU Emacs pocket reference.
>
> I know I can C-x C-b and get a list of buffers, select the one I want
> then hit a CR.
>
> Is there a way I can just step from buffer to buffer without going
> through a list buffers command?

Have a look at cyclebuffer.el, it allows you to bind any key sequence to
functions cycling forward or backwards through the buffer list.
--
Best wishes,
Sebastian

* Re: how do I step through buffers
@ 2004-10-26 19:07 ` J. David Boyd
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-10-26 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Billy N. Patton" <b-patton@ti.com> writes:

> I'm looking at my GNU Emacs pocket reference.
>
> I know I can C-x C-b and get a list of buffers, select the one I want
> then hit a CR.
>
> Is there a way I can just step from buffer to buffer without going
> through a list buffers command?
>

>From C-h f next-buffer:

next-buffer is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
It is bound to C-x <right>, <menu-bar> <buffer> <next-buffer>.
(next-buffer)

Switch to the next buffer in cyclic order.

* RE: how do I step through buffers
@ 2004-10-26 19:54 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-10-26 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

See these links for lots of alternative ways to switch buffers, including
different ways to cycle among them:

 - http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryBufferSwitching

 - http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SwitchingBuffers

Is there a way I can just step from buffer to buffer without going
through a list buffers command?

* Re: how do I step through buffers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-26 22:49 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-10-26 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy N. Patton wrote:
 > I know I can C-x C-b and get a list of buffers, select the one I want
 > then hit a CR.
 >
 > Is there a way I can just step from buffer to buffer without going
 > through a list buffers command?

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'electric-buffer-list)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: how do I step through buffers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-10-27 19:48 ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2004-10-27 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Billy N. Patton" <b-patton@ti.com> writes:

> I'm looking at my GNU Emacs pocket reference.
>
> I know I can C-x C-b and get a list of buffers, select the one I want
> then hit a CR.
>
> Is there a way I can just step from buffer to buffer without going
> through a list buffers command?

Take a look at bubble-buffer.el from http://www.xsteve.at/prg/emacs/

Stefan.