all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient ssh and nautilus
@ 2006-09-04 15:19 augukarl
       [not found] ` <mailman.6289.1157399621.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: augukarl @ 2006-09-04 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In the GNOME file browser, Nautilus, I can connect to an ssh server,
browse to a file and open it with the (standard) text editor GEdit by
double-clicking the file icon. However, if i right-click on the icon,
choose "open with other application" and choose "emacsclient" nothing
happens. Opening files on my local computer with emacsclient through
Nautilus works fine though. Any clues?

August

* Re: emacsclient ssh and nautilus
@ 2006-09-04 19:48 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.6289.1157399621.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-04 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Sep 2006 08:19:24 -0700 augukarl@yahoo.se wrote:

> In the GNOME file browser, Nautilus, I can connect to an ssh server,
> browse to a file and open it with the (standard) text editor GEdit by
> double-clicking the file icon. However, if i right-click on the icon,
> choose "open with other application" and choose "emacsclient" nothing
> happens. Opening files on my local computer with emacsclient through
> Nautilus works fine though. Any clues?

Don't know this gnome stuff but you can open remote files from
within emacs using tramp:

C-x C-f /ssh:user@host:/path/to/file RET

David

@ 2006-09-05 13:41   ` augukarl
From: augukarl @ 2006-09-05 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen skrev:

> On 4 Sep 2006 08:19:24 -0700 augukarl@yahoo.se wrote:
>
> > In the GNOME file browser, Nautilus, I can connect to an ssh server,
> > browse to a file and open it with the (standard) text editor GEdit by
> > double-clicking the file icon. However, if i right-click on the icon,
> > choose "open with other application" and choose "emacsclient" nothing
> > happens. Opening files on my local computer with emacsclient through
> > Nautilus works fine though. Any clues?
>
> Don't know this gnome stuff but you can open remote files from
> within emacs using tramp:
>
> C-x C-f /ssh:user@host:/path/to/file RET

Thanks for the info.

August