all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-04 13:33 wim yedema
From: wim yedema @ 2006-12-04 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to be able to "rotate" the split between windows, eg: from (A,
B) vertical to (A, B) horizonal, to (B, A) vertical, to (B, A) horizontal,
and the other way around. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
Wim Yedema

* Re: rotate split windows
       [not found] <mailman.1515.1165253652.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-04 19:54 ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-12-04 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"wim yedema" <wim.yedema@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to "rotate" the split between windows, eg:
> from (A, B) vertical to (A, B) horizonal, to (B, A) vertical, to (B,
> A) horizontal, and the other way around. Can anyone tell me how to
> do this?

Add this to your .emacs:

(defun rotate-split ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((root (car (window-tree))))
    (if (listp root)
        (let* ((w1 (nth 2 root))
               (w2 (nth 3 root))
               (b1 (window-buffer w1))
               (b2 (window-buffer w2)))
          (cond ((car root)             ; currently vertically split
                 (delete-window w2)
                 (set-window-buffer (split-window-horizontally) b2))
                (t                      ; currently horizontally split
                 (delete-window w1)
                 (set-window-buffer (split-window-vertically) b1))))
      (message "Root window not split"))))

and invoke it with M-x rotate-split.

You can add this:

(global-set-key [f9] 'rotate-split)

to bind it to the function key F9 (for example).

The clockwise direction is analogous.

All the best,
Markus Triska

* Re: rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-04 21:22 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2006-12-04 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"wim yedema" <wim.yedema@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I would like to be able to "rotate" the split between windows,
> eg: from (A, B) vertical to (A, B) horizonal, to (B, A) vertical, to
> (B, A) horizontal, and the other way around. Can anyone tell me how

Can I assume that there are only two windows (A,B) in your Emacs
frame?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-05 10:09   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2006-12-05 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Markus Triska <triska@gmx.at> writes:

> Add this to your .emacs:
>

> (defun rotate-split ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((root (car (window-tree))))
> [...]

Calling the function gives

car: Symbol's function definition is void: window-tree

Is there an alternative for

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.3.1

?

TIA
--
Marco Wahl
http://visenso.com

* Re: rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-05 21:03     ` Chris Menzel
From: Chris Menzel @ 2006-12-05 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05 Dec 2006 11:09:28 +0100, Marco Wahl <mw@visenso.de> said:
> Markus Triska <triska@gmx.at> writes:
>
>> Add this to your .emacs:
>>

>> (defun rotate-split ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let ((root (car (window-tree))))
>> [...]
>
> Calling the function gives
>
> car: Symbol's function definition is void: window-tree
>
> Is there an alternative for
>
> $ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 21.3.1

Give this a try:

(defun rotate-window-buffers()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((windows (window-list))
         (buffers (mapcar #'window-buffer windows))
         (wpoints (mapcar #'window-point windows))
         (w (pop windows)))
         (setq windows (append windows `(,w)))
         (mapc (lambda(w)
                 (let ((b (pop buffers))
                       (p (pop wpoints)))
                       (set-window-buffer w b)
                       (set-window-point w p)))
               windows)))

(define-key global-map [f7] 'rotate-window-buffers)

* Re: rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-06 18:12     ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-12-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Wahl <mw@visenso.de> writes:

> alternative for [...] GNU Emacs 21.3.1

No nice one (you can calculate the split using `window-egdes'):

  Primitives to look inside of window configurations would make sense,
  but none are implemented.

The code posted by Chris only rotates the buffers and doesn't flip the
split as requested; a more concise version:

(defun rotate-window-buffers ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((ws (window-list))
         (bs (mapcar 'window-buffer ws))
         (ps (mapcar 'window-point ws))
         (w (pop ws)))
    (dolist (v (append ws `(,w)))
      (set-window-buffer v (pop bs))
      (set-window-point v (pop ps)))))

All the best,
Markus Triska

* Re: rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-06 21:34       ` Chris Menzel
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1633.1165480499.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris Menzel @ 2006-12-06 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:12:28 +0100, Markus Triska <triska@gmx.at> said:
> Marco Wahl <mw@visenso.de> writes:
>
> The code posted by Chris only rotates the buffers and doesn't flip the
> split as requested;

Whoops, missed that feature request. :-)

* Re: rotate split windows
@ 2006-12-07  8:34       ` wim yedema
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1633.1165480499.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: wim yedema @ 2006-12-07  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Marco Wahl <mw@visenso.de> writes:
>
> > alternative for [...] GNU Emacs 21.3.1
>
> No nice one (you can calculate the split using `window-egdes'):
Unfortunately I also have version 21.3.1.
I think it's safe to say that no one is going to make this for me?

What version of emacs should I use to get the window-tree?

Wim

* Re: rotate split windows
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1633.1165480499.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-07 17:35         ` Markus Triska
From: Markus Triska @ 2006-12-07 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

"wim yedema" <wim.yedema@gmail.com> writes:

> What version of emacs should I use to get the window-tree?

Try CVS trunk.

All the best, Markus Triska