all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Make rename-file() also rename visiting buffers
@ 2007-06-12 15:34 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-06-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello again, Emacs Powerusers?

Why does not rename-file() correspondingly rename all buffers visiting
that file?

How can I make this happen?

Thanks in advance,

Nordlöw

* Re: Make rename-file() also rename visiting buffers
@ 2007-06-12 20:01 ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-06-12 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Why does not rename-file() correspondingly rename all buffers visiting
> that file?
>
> How can I make this happen?

For me the fastest way is to use the dired-x command

(define-key global-map "\C-x\C-j" 'dired-jump)

C-x C-j in the interesting buffer leads you to dired, then type R (for
rename) and after renaming it type RET and you are in the
corresponding buffer and all others are renamed as well.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Make rename-file() also rename visiting buffers
@ 2007-06-14 10:43 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-06-14 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why does not rename-file() correspondingly rename all buffers visiting
> that file?

Because buffers are associated with file names and not files.  Changing
the buffer name would break backup for instance, which (by default)
renames the file and then writes it again.

I don't think there can be multiple buffers visiting the same file, thuogh.

> How can I make this happen?

Something like this:

(defun rename-this-file (new-name)
  "Rename this buffer's file to NEW-NAME."
  (interactive
   (let ((file (or buffer-file-name (error "Not a file"))))
     (list (read-file-name
	    "New name: " (file-name-directory file) nil nil
            (file-name-nondirectory file)))))
  (if (vc-backend buffer-file-name)
      (vc-rename-file buffer-file-name new-name))
    (rename-file buffer-file-name new-name)
    (set-visited-file-name new-name t t))

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher