all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-08 23:39 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-12-08 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all

I'm trying to help a friend to set up Gnus. We have problems with
outgoing mail. A toggle-debug-on-error doesn't say very much:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
 signal(error ("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error"))
 error("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
 smtpmail-send-it()
 gnus-agent-send-mail()
 message-send-mail(nil)
 message-send-via-mail(nil)
 message-send(nil)
 message-send-and-exit(nil)
* call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

The settings in .gnus.el are correct as far as I can say:

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net")
 (setq user-full-name "Stjepan Beles")
 (setq user-mail-address "b.stjepan@gmx.de")
 (setq message-send-mail-real-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
 (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

 (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
  '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))

I've tested the same settings with my own GMX account on my machine,
and it works. mail.gmx.net doesn't require TLS. We both use Debian
Etch.

How can we get a more telling log? Can any external program produce
the difficulties (Emacs doesn't make use of the system's MTA, right?).
Could we have forgotten to install anything?

I'm sorry to ask such a diffuse question. But I'm not physically in
front of his machine. We communicate via Email. And he is still a
beginner with Emacs and GNU/Linux, so he cannot ask himself.

Thanks for help

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
       [not found] <mailman.4774.1197157208.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-09  1:38 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-12-09  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-09  7:24 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-12-09  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi to all
>
> I'm trying to help a friend to set up Gnus. We have problems with
> outgoing mail. A toggle-debug-on-error doesn't say very much:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
>  signal(error ("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error"))
>  error("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
>  smtpmail-send-it()
>  gnus-agent-send-mail()
>  message-send-mail(nil)
>  message-send-via-mail(nil)
>  message-send(nil)
>  message-send-and-exit(nil)
> * call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)
>
> The settings in .gnus.el are correct as far as I can say:
>
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net")
>  (setq user-full-name "Stjepan Beles")
>  (setq user-mail-address "b.stjepan@gmx.de")
>  (setq message-send-mail-real-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
>  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>   '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))
>
> I've tested the same settings with my own GMX account on my machine,
> and it works. mail.gmx.net doesn't require TLS. We both use Debian
> Etch.
>
> How can we get a more telling log? Can any external program produce
> the difficulties (Emacs doesn't make use of the system's MTA, right?).
> Could we have forgotten to install anything?
>
> I'm sorry to ask such a diffuse question. But I'm not physically in
> front of his machine. We communicate via Email. And he is still a
> beginner with Emacs and GNU/Linux, so he cannot ask himself.
>
> Thanks for help

Hi, if you write

 (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
  '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))

that mean you want to use starttls and you need to set
mail and password instead of "***" "***" and "mail.gmx.net"
must be the adress of an smtp server.

if you don't use starttls, just write:

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.yourProvider.net")

this will use by default port 25 without password

And are you sure your friend have some MTA installed
(i use nbsmtp)

--
A+ Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-09 14:16   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-12-09 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Thierry

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, if you write
>
>  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>   '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))
>
> that mean you want to use starttls and you need to set
> mail and password instead of "***" "***" and "mail.gmx.net"
> must be the adress of an smtp server.

Yes, gmx requires authentication, but, according to their
documentation, doesn't require (isn't able to understand) a secure
transmission of the login-data. I was thinking this is what is called
TLS. Gmx doesn't -- of course, grrr -- have a configuration
instruction for Gnus on its homepage. In the documentation for
Thunderbird, they say "Use Secure Transmission (TSL/SSL)" must _not_
be enabled. Anyway, username and password have to be transmitted.

That the "***"'s have to be username and password is clear. I only
masked them for the posting. mail.gmx.net is the SMTP-Server.

> And are you sure your friend have some MTA installed
> (i use nbsmtp)

We both have exim4 as the system's MTA. His is not configured. Mine is
configured for my usual smtp server which is different from gmx (I use
the one provided by my internet provider). But does Gnus really make
use of exim4? I was thinking it comes with its own MTA. How else can
it be explained that I could just edit my .gnus.el for using the
SMTP-server of gmx yesterday -- which was working -- without changing
my exim4 configuration?

Thanks for your help

@ 2007-12-09 14:33     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-12-09 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi Thierry
>
> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, if you write
>>
>>  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>>   '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))
>>
>> that mean you want to use starttls and you need to set
>> mail and password instead of "***" "***" and "mail.gmx.net"
>> must be the adress of an smtp server.
>
> Yes, gmx requires authentication, but, according to their
> documentation, doesn't require (isn't able to understand) a secure
> transmission of the login-data. I was thinking this is what is called
> TLS. Gmx doesn't -- of course, grrr -- have a configuration
> instruction for Gnus on its homepage. In the documentation for
> Thunderbird, they say "Use Secure Transmission (TSL/SSL)" must _not_
> be enabled. Anyway, username and password have to be transmitted.
>
> That the "***"'s have to be username and password is clear. I only
> masked them for the posting. mail.gmx.net is the SMTP-Server.
>
>> And are you sure your friend have some MTA installed
>> (i use nbsmtp)
>
> We both have exim4 as the system's MTA. His is not configured. Mine is
> configured for my usual smtp server which is different from gmx (I use
> the one provided by my internet provider). But does Gnus really make
> use of exim4? I was thinking it comes with its own MTA. How else can
> it be explained that I could just edit my .gnus.el for using the
> SMTP-server of gmx yesterday -- which was working -- without changing
> my exim4 configuration?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Sven

Gnus use sendmail to send mails:
If you have exim on your system it will use exim, if you have postfix or
anything else it will use that.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-09 14:38       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-12-09 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Dec 09 2007, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>> We both have exim4 as the system's MTA. His is not configured. Mine is
>> configured for my usual smtp server which is different from gmx (I use
>> the one provided by my internet provider). But does Gnus really make
>> use of exim4? I was thinking it comes with its own MTA. How else can
>> it be explained that I could just edit my .gnus.el for using the
>> SMTP-server of gmx yesterday -- which was working -- without changing
>> my exim4 configuration?
[...]
> Gnus use sendmail to send mails:
> If you have exim on your system it will use exim, if you have postfix or
> anything else it will use that.

Unless you specify something different in `message-send-mail-function'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-09 16:51   ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4798.1197219115.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-12-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Exal and all others

Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo <no-spam@gnu.org> writes:

> ,----[ Configuration for gmx smtp server ]
> |
> | 		  ;; Use gmx smtp server
> | 		  (message "Using gmx smtp server")
> | 		 (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
> | 		       starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
> | 		       starttls-extra-arguments nil)
> | 		 (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil
> | 		       send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> | 		       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
> | 		       message-send-mail-partially-limit nil
> | 		       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
> | 		       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
> | 		       smtpmail-debug-info t
> | 		       smtpmail-debug-verb t
> | 		       smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"
> | 		       smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 nil nil))
> | 		       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net" ))
> |
> `----

We have tried this configuration, changing the necessaries and adding
the personal data (user-full-name etc.). It was necessary to install
the Debian package gnutls-bin which contains gnutls-cli. But it didn't
work either. This is the error message:

Sending via mail...
220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-SIZE
250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250 STARTTLS
550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}
221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

So, the authentication fails. What can be the reason? Can there be
anything missing, perhaps on the exim side?

Apropos. There is an additional ) at the end of your code. We had to
eliminate it to have gnus come up. Is there something relevant missing
on the top of the code or is it just part of a user-defined function
to switch smtp alternatives?

@ 2007-12-09 17:27     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-12-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi Exal and all others
>
> Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo <no-spam@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> ,----[ Configuration for gmx smtp server ]
>> |
>> | 		  ;; Use gmx smtp server
>> | 		  (message "Using gmx smtp server")
>> | 		 (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
>> | 		       starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
>> | 		       starttls-extra-arguments nil)
>> | 		 (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil
>> | 		       send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>> | 		       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>> | 		       message-send-mail-partially-limit nil
>> | 		       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
>> | 		       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
>> | 		       smtpmail-debug-info t
>> | 		       smtpmail-debug-verb t
>> | 		       smtpmail-auth-credentials "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"
>> | 		       smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 nil nil))
>> | 		       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net" ))
>> |
>> `----
>
> We have tried this configuration, changing the necessaries and adding
> the personal data (user-full-name etc.). It was necessary to install
> the Debian package gnutls-bin which contains gnutls-cli. But it didn't
> work either. This is the error message:
>
> Sending via mail...
> 220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
> 250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-SIZE
> 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
> 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
> 250 STARTTLS
> 550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}
> 221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
> smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error
>
> So, the authentication fails. What can be the reason? Can there be
> anything missing, perhaps on the exim side?
>
> Apropos. There is an additional ) at the end of your code. We had to
> eliminate it to have gnus come up. Is there something relevant missing
> on the top of the code or is it just part of a user-defined function
> to switch smtp alternatives?
>
> Thanks for help
>
> Sven

Are you sure port 25 with starttls is right? (i use 587 with gmail)

What do you have in "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"?
(you can write the content of this file directly like below)

Here is my config with gmail if it can help:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
"my_email_adress" "my_password")))

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-09 18:02       ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-12-09 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Are you sure port 25 with starttls is right? (i use 587 with gmail)

I think so. AFAIK port 587 is used when the authentication is not in
clear text, but encoded via SSL or TLS. This is the German
documentation of gmx concerning the configuration of Thunderbird:

http://faq.gmx.de/messages/mailprogramme/einrichtung/3.html

In "Schritt 7" (step 7) it has a screenshot that shows the settings:
server-name: mail.gmx.net, port: 25, secure connection: never.

> What do you have in "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"?
> (you can write the content of this file directly like below)

I (this means my friend) haven't used a credentials file but set the
login information directly in .gnus.el. This is what it looks like:

;; Use gmx smtp server
  (message "Using gmx smtp server")
  (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
       starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
       starttls-extra-arguments nil)
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil
       send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
       message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
       message-send-mail-partially-limit nil
       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
       smtpmail-debug-info t
       smtpmail-debug-verb t
       smtpmail-auth-credentials
        '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "GMX_USERNAME" "GMX_PASSWORD"))
       smtpmail-starttls-credentials
        '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 nil nil))
       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net" )
 (setq user-full-name "Stjepan Beles")
 (setq user-mail-address "b.stjepan@gmx.de")

> Here is my config with gmail if it can help:
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
> "my_email_adress" "my_password")))
>
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

Looks quite similar apart from the port number.

I have the impression that setting starttls-use-gnutls to non-nil is
the wrong way. Except the gmx folks write nonsense in their
documentation (what can be the case anyway). But it didn't work before
either.

A different idea. Is is possible that the MTA (exim4) doesn't allow
passwords to be send away in clear text, which is a damn security risk
anyway. Should we try to install sendmail instead? I still don't know
how I can find out if the error occurs in Emacs or in exim. The
*Messages* buffer isn't very informative in this case.

Greetings

@ 2007-12-09 18:35         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-12-09 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Are you sure port 25 with starttls is right? (i use 587 with gmail)
>
> I think so. AFAIK port 587 is used when the authentication is not in
> clear text, but encoded via SSL or TLS. This is the German
> documentation of gmx concerning the configuration of Thunderbird:
>
> http://faq.gmx.de/messages/mailprogramme/einrichtung/3.html
>
> In "Schritt 7" (step 7) it has a screenshot that shows the settings:
> server-name: mail.gmx.net, port: 25, secure connection: never.
>
>> What do you have in "~/emacs-stuff/mailauth"?
>> (you can write the content of this file directly like below)
>
> I (this means my friend) haven't used a credentials file but set the
> login information directly in .gnus.el. This is what it looks like:
>
> ;; Use gmx smtp server
>   (message "Using gmx smtp server")
>   (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
>        starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
>        starttls-extra-arguments nil)
>   (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil
>        send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>        message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>        message-send-mail-partially-limit nil
>        smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
>        smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net"
>        smtpmail-debug-info t
>        smtpmail-debug-verb t
>        smtpmail-auth-credentials
>         '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "GMX_USERNAME" "GMX_PASSWORD"))
>        smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>         '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 nil nil))
>        smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net" )
>  (setq user-full-name "Stjepan Beles")
>  (setq user-mail-address "b.stjepan@gmx.de")
>
>> Here is my config with gmail if it can help:
>>
>> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil)))
>> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587
>> "my_email_adress" "my_password")))
>>
>> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
>
> Looks quite similar apart from the port number.
>
> I have the impression that setting starttls-use-gnutls to non-nil is
> the wrong way. Except the gmx folks write nonsense in their
> documentation (what can be the case anyway). But it didn't work before
> either.
>
> A different idea. Is is possible that the MTA (exim4) doesn't allow
> passwords to be send away in clear text, which is a damn security risk
> anyway. Should we try to install sendmail instead? I still don't know
> how I can find out if the error occurs in Emacs or in exim. The
> *Messages* buffer isn't very informative in this case.

I never use exim but may be you can test with nbsmtp that is very light,
support starttls and have nothing to configure, you just call sendmail
from gnus and go!
I have used it with -no starttls protocol- also and it worked fine.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4798.1197219115.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-09 20:26     ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-12-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-10  0:45       ` Sebastian Tennant
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4819.1197249427.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-12-10  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo <no-spam@gnu.org>:
> mmmm, I dont think so, are you trying to send the mail with the @gmx
> - From header?, this because gmx doesn't allow relaying.

I don't think it can be the envelope from-header because SMTP
conversation doesn't even get that far:

 220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
 250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
 250-8BITMIME
 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
 250-SIZE
 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
 250 STARTTLS
 550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}
 221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
 smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error

I'm afraid I don't know why it's failing at this stage, but I can clear
up one thinko... by using smtpmail you are talking directly with gmx's
SMTP servers, so yes, you _are_ bypassing the local MTA (Exim).

Sebastian

* Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-10  1:16         ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4819.1197249427.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-12-10  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

>  220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031}
>  250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices
>  250-8BITMIME
>  250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>  250-SIZE
>  250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
>  250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
>  250 STARTTLS
>  550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031}

Does this line mean that the authentication has already failed? Or is
it the message that the authentication has started at this moment?
Does anybody know how I can get a more informative log? We have
already set smtpmail-debug-info and smtpmail-debug-verb to true.

>  221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031}
>  smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error
>
> I'm afraid I don't know why it's failing at this stage, but I can clear
> up one thinko... by using smtpmail you are talking directly with gmx's
> SMTP servers, so yes, you _are_ bypassing the local MTA (Exim).

Good to know. Then setting up another MTA for the system won't solve
the problem. I was in doubt anyway, since exim's mainlog doesn't
mention anything when I send a message with Gnus.

@ 2007-12-10  5:16           ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-12-10  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* [Solved] Gnus and outgoing Mail
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4798.1197219115.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-12 23:26   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-12-12 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all

We have succeeded at last. The problem was that my fried was using
Emacs 21 which is standard in Debian Etch. This version is seemingly
unable to send smtp-authentification in plain text. But this is what
the German gmx relay-server requires. There is a patch on EmacsWiki
under the rubric SMTP_AUTH together with the information that the CVS
version already contains the patch. So, we installed the CVS
emacs-snapshot for Debian. Now it works.

This also explains, why it has always worked for me but not for him,
because I always use the CVS snapshot.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: [Solved] Gnus and outgoing Mail
@ 2007-12-13 10:41     ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-12-13 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch>:
> We have succeeded at last. The problem was that my fried was using
> Emacs 21 which is standard in Debian Etch. This version is seemingly
> unable to send smtp-authentification in plain text. But this is what
> the German gmx relay-server requires. There is a patch on EmacsWiki
> under the rubric SMTP_AUTH together with the information that the CVS
> version already contains the patch. So, we installed the CVS
> emacs-snapshot for Debian. Now it works.
>
> This also explains, why it has always worked for me but not for him,
> because I always use the CVS snapshot.

That is good gnus :-)  Well done for persevering.

Sebastian