Sebastian Tennant writes: > 220 mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices ESMTP {mp031} > 250-mail.gmx.net GMX Mailservices > 250-8BITMIME > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES > 250-SIZE > 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN > 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN > 250 STARTTLS > 550 5.7.0 Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login {mp031} Does this line mean that the authentication has already failed? Or is it the message that the authentication has started at this moment? Does anybody know how I can get a more informative log? We have already set smtpmail-debug-info and smtpmail-debug-verb to true. > 221 2.0.0 GMX Mailservices {mp031} > smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed; SMTP protocol error > > I'm afraid I don't know why it's failing at this stage, but I can clear > up one thinko... by using smtpmail you are talking directly with gmx's > SMTP servers, so yes, you _are_ bypassing the local MTA (Exim). Good to know. Then setting up another MTA for the system won't solve the problem. I was in doubt anyway, since exim's mainlog doesn't mention anything when I send a message with Gnus. Greetings Sven