all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't set debug-on-error to nil
@ 2008-08-12 18:08 Yevgeniy Makarov
From: Yevgeniy Makarov @ 2008-08-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

In my Emacs sessions, the variable debug-on-error is always t, so
every error pops a buffer with "Debugger entered--Lisp error", etc. I
found the following:

* M-x describe-variable debug-on-error says that its value is nil, but
M-: debug-on-error prints t

* This happens even if I start Emacs with -Q option

* I tried putting (setq debug-on-error nil) in the beginning and in
the end of .emacs, as well as customizing the variable to nil (there
is an entry '(debug-on-error nil) in custom-set-variables), but it did
not help.

* There is nothing about debug in my .Xdefaults

So where is it set to t, and how can I set it to nil?

I have GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 of 2008-01-25 on Linux.

Thank you,
Evgeny

* Re: Can't set debug-on-error to nil
@ 2008-08-12 18:26 ` Yevgeniy Makarov
From: Yevgeniy Makarov @ 2008-08-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, and in addition to all this, even when I say (setq debug-on-error
nil), M-: debug-on-error immediately after this prints t.

@ 2008-08-13  8:35 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-08-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yevgeniy Makarov <emakarov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> In my Emacs sessions, the variable debug-on-error is always t, so
> every error pops a buffer with "Debugger entered--Lisp error", etc. I
> found the following:
>
> * M-x describe-variable debug-on-error says that its value is nil, but
> M-: debug-on-error prints t
>
> * This happens even if I start Emacs with -Q option
>
> * I tried putting (setq debug-on-error nil) in the beginning and in
> the end of .emacs, as well as customizing the variable to nil (there
> is an entry '(debug-on-error nil) in custom-set-variables), but it did
> not help.
>
> * There is nothing about debug in my .Xdefaults
>
> So where is it set to t, and how can I set it to nil?
>
> I have GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 of 2008-01-25 on Linux.
>
> Thank you,
> Evgeny

It has to be something local. However, I note that your version is VERY
old given we are talking about CVS versions and from memory, there was a
fair amount of instability in the CVS version early in the year.

My advice would be to grab an updated CVS snapshot and re-build. the
problem may be due to a bug that has long since been fixed (though I
don't remember anything like that and I tend to update at least
weekly). When using CVS versions, you really want to stay fairly close
to the head.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au