all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Writing CV with Emacs
@ 2009-01-08 13:26 Decebal
From: Decebal @ 2009-01-08 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Some time ago I saw somewhere (a post, a webpage, I do not remember)
that someone used Emacs to write his CV. He used something to convert
the buffer to a PDF-file and previewed it in Emacs.
I was now myself thinking about writing my CV (and proberly other
things) with Emacs, but I can not find the post or webpage where this
was described. Does anyone have an idea where I can find this
description?

* Re: Writing CV with Emacs
@ 2009-01-08 13:58 ` Richard Riley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-01-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> Some time ago I saw somewhere (a post, a webpage, I do not remember)
> that someone used Emacs to write his CV. He used something to convert
> the buffer to a PDF-file and previewed it in Emacs.
> I was now myself thinking about writing my CV (and proberly other
> things) with Emacs, but I can not find the post or webpage where this
> was described. Does anyone have an idea where I can find this
> description?

You could consider using org-mode which supports export to html and
latex/pdf.

http://orgmode.org/manual/LaTeX-and-PDF-export.html#LaTeX-and-PDF-export

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: Writing CV with Emacs
@ 2009-01-08 15:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Decebal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.01.2009 um 14:26 schrieb Decebal:

> Some time ago I saw somewhere (a post, a webpage, I do not remember)
> that someone used Emacs to write his CV. He used something to convert
> the buffer to a PDF-file and previewed it in Emacs.

Doc-view(-mode) allows the latter, AUCTeX makes TeXing more comfortable.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When in doubt, use brute force.
				– Ken Thompson

* Re: Writing CV with Emacs
@ 2009-01-08 22:37 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-01-08 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> writes:

> Some time ago I saw somewhere (a post, a webpage, I do not remember)
> that someone used Emacs to write his CV. He used something to convert
> the buffer to a PDF-file and previewed it in Emacs.
> I was now myself thinking about writing my CV (and proberly other
> things) with Emacs, but I can not find the post or webpage where this
> was described. Does anyone have an idea where I can find this
> description?

There are many possible solutions, depending on what outcome you want
and what things your familiar/comfortable with using. Emacs has support
for working in LaTex, Texinfo, XML/Docbook, HTML, SGML, etc. There are
also many useful modes that can take basic ascii or various 'mark down'
type formatting as input to produce various outputs. For example, muse
(wiki like mark down), org mode, bhl mode etc, that can export data in
various formats including HTML, PDF, PS, LatEx, info etc.

I have done a lot of text processing type work with emacs using Auctex
and various LaTeX modes. The comprehensive tex archive network (CTAN)
has lots of latex packages/modes/styles for doing many different types
of documents, including writing a CV. I personally find LatEx and auctex
mode a very powerful text processing framework that allows me to produce
output in various different formats and would recommend using it.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Writing CV with Emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-01-09  9:05 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-01-09  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Decebal <CLDWesterhof@gmail.com> wrote :

| Some time ago I saw somewhere (a post, a webpage, I do not remember)
| that someone used Emacs to write his CV. He used something to convert
| the buffer to a PDF-file and previewed it in Emacs.
| I was now myself thinking about writing my CV (and proberly other
| things) with Emacs, but I can not find the post or webpage where this
| was described. Does anyone have an idea where I can find this
| description?

In addition to what Richard, Peter and Tim wrote, I draw your attention to
muse-mode, also allowing export of a buffer to pdf (through LaTeX or
conTeXt) and html/xhtml, and other formats.

Your choice is big indeed!
--
Jean

* Re: Writing CV with Emacs
@ 2009-01-10 19:31   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-01-10 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@bornier.net> writes:

    In addition to what Richard, Peter and Tim wrote, I draw your attention to
    muse-mode, also allowing export of a buffer to pdf (through LaTeX or
    conTeXt) and html/xhtml, and other formats.

    Your choice is big indeed!

Right?  Um, CTAN is a bit overwhelming.  Early on, I discovered CurVe
there.  It worked for me until it didn't.  I think CurVe was a nice
format for a CV that isn't very extensive.  But when I recently rewrote
mine, I was attempting to put my twenty-six-year career in perspective
on _two_ pages.  I stumbled on Currvita and it worked like a charm.  I'm
not very imaginative when it comes to making lists about myself and this
CTAN package was one of the easiest methods I have ever used for
building my resume.

With TeXLive 2008 (or 2007?) installed, do

texdoc currvita

It takes a second to for TeX to build you a Currvita manual, but you'll
be glad you did.