all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
@ 2009-06-03 20:51 Francis Moreau
       [not found] ` <mailman.8446.1244066228.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-06-03 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm wondering if this repo is kept uptodate frequently.

I cloned, compiled and installed emacs from the master branch which
points to this commit: 8e282b1c43fd6768a9ec339f5cb8aefd4d2fc2
Date:   Wed Apr 29 04:46:15 2009 +0000

Asking to the freshly installed emacs its version gives me:

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1

I don't think it is the latest emacs.

Does anybody have any information on this repo ?

thanks

* Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
@ 2009-06-03 21:50 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.8446.1244066228.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-06-03 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if this repo is kept uptodate frequently.
>
> I cloned, compiled and installed emacs from the master branch which
> points to this commit: 8e282b1c43fd6768a9ec339f5cb8aefd4d2fc2
> Date:   Wed Apr 29 04:46:15 2009 +0000
>
> Asking to the freshly installed emacs its version gives me:
>
> $ emacs --version
> GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1
>
> I don't think it is the latest emacs.
>
> Does anybody have any information on this repo ?

I think emacs developpers are working actually on the savannah repo.
It's better waiting all problems are fixed before (re)installing emacs.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

@ 2009-06-04  7:22   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-06-04  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hello,
>
> > I'm wondering if this repo is kept uptodate frequently.
>
> > I cloned, compiled and installed emacs from the master branch which
> > points to this commit: 8e282b1c43fd6768a9ec339f5cb8aefd4d2fc2
> > Date:   Wed Apr 29 04:46:15 2009 +0000
>
> > Asking to the freshly installed emacs its version gives me:
>
> > $ emacs --version
> > GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1
>
> > I don't think it is the latest emacs.
>
> > Does anybody have any information on this repo ?
>
> I think emacs developpers are working actually on the savannah repo.
> It's better waiting all problems are fixed before (re)installing emacs.

Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?

In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.

Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?

Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
this release if it's not in the dev repo ?

@ 2009-06-04  7:45     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-06-04  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 00:22:39 -0700 (PDT), Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?
>
> In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.
>
> Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?
>
> Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
> this release if it's not in the dev repo ?

Hi Francis,

I cloned the Git repository a while back.  The last commit in the
origin/master branch is:

  commit c2f9b5857cc50663229ad3ec28608fe615ac9e34
  Author: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
  Date:   Sat May 30 00:31:59 2009 +0000

      * coding.c (get_translation_table): Check Venable_character_translation.

This is sufficiently recent, and I have pulled changesets from this in
my personal Mercurial clone.  The snapshot of Emacs that I built this
morning is:

  GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of 2009-06-04 on kobe

So, to the best of my knowledge, a short answer is: ``Yes, you can use
the git repository to build recent Emacs snapshots.''

* Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
@ 2009-06-04  8:06       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-06-04  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

On Jun 4, 9:45 am, Giorgos Keramidas <keram...@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 00:22:39 -0700 (PDT), Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?
>
> > In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.
>
> > Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?
>
> > Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
> > this release if it's not in the dev repo ?
>
> Hi Francis,
>
> I cloned the Git repository a while back.  The last commit in the
> origin/master branch is:
>
>   commit c2f9b5857cc50663229ad3ec28608fe615ac9e34
>   Author: Chong Yidong <c...@stupidchicken.com>
>   Date:   Sat May 30 00:31:59 2009 +0000
>
>       * coding.c (get_translation_table): Check Venable_character_translation.

I just pulled and it updated the repo to the commit you showed
above. !

I just did clone 2 days ago and I did only receive commits up to the
one I mentioned in my initial post. So apparently this mirror repo is
kept uptodate but not every days.

> This is sufficiently recent,

Yes indeed but I was just wondering why with a just cloned repo I did
have a emacs version older than the one used by some people.

> and I have pulled changesets from this in
> my personal Mercurial clone.  The snapshot of Emacs that I built this
> morning is:
>
>   GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of 2009-06-04 on kobe
>
> So, to the best of my knowledge, a short answer is: ``Yes, you can use
> the git repository to build recent Emacs snapshots.''

Do you use a specific tag when building a snapshot or do you use a
random commit ?

@ 2009-06-04 16:20         ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-06-04 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:06:26 -0700 (PDT), Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> and I have pulled changesets from this in my personal Mercurial
>> clone.  The snapshot of Emacs that I built this morning is:
>>
>>   GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of 2009-06-04 on kobe
>>
>> So, to the best of my knowledge, a short answer is: ``Yes, you can use
>> the git repository to build recent Emacs snapshots.''
>
> Do you use a specific tag when building a snapshot or do you use a
> random commit ?

I briefly look at the commit logs of the origin/master branch and pick
one that `seems stable'.

This means, of course, that when commits hit the tree with a greater
frequency than now (a pre-release period) the chance of randomly picking
a broken changeset is greater.  But I can live with that.  Most of the
time just merging the latest change of origin/master with my own stuff
and building Emacs just works.

* Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
@ 2009-06-05  7:42     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-06-05  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I'm wondering if this repo is kept uptodate frequently.
>>
>> > I cloned, compiled and installed emacs from the master branch which
>> > points to this commit: 8e282b1c43fd6768a9ec339f5cb8aefd4d2fc2
>> > Date:   Wed Apr 29 04:46:15 2009 +0000
>>
>> > Asking to the freshly installed emacs its version gives me:
>>
>> > $ emacs --version
>> > GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1
>>
>> > I don't think it is the latest emacs.
>>
>> > Does anybody have any information on this repo ?
>>
>> I think emacs developpers are working actually on the savannah repo.
>> It's better waiting all problems are fixed before (re)installing emacs.
>>

> Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?
>
> In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.
>
> Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?
>
> Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
> this release if it's not in the dev repo ?
>
> thanks

Just to clarify

The savannah server had a hardware fault (disk I think) a few days
back. Unfortunately, due to issues with their backups, they didn't/don't
have a recent backup of many of the source code repositories. Therefore,
they are having to get versions pushed back from developer's own git
repositories (not sure what they plan for the cvs and svn repos).

What this means is that the current repository is likely the one from
the last reliable backup, which I think may have been as far back as
April.

So, my advice would be to wait another few days and see if the
repository becomes more up-to-date.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: What's the status of the emacs' git repo on savannah
@ 2009-06-07 16:08       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-06-07 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 juin, 09:42, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I think emacs developpers are working actually on the savannah repo.
> >> It's better waiting all problems are fixed before (re)installing emacs.
>
> > Can't I use this repo to retrieve pre-release or something like ?
>
> > In the repo, there are tags such as: EMACS_PRETEST_23_0_92.
>
> > Is it 'safe' to use such revisions ?
>
> > Also I saw that some people are using emacs 23.0.94. Where do they get
> > this release if it's not in the dev repo ?
>
> > thanks
>
> Just to clarify
>
> The savannah server had a hardware fault (disk I think) a few days
> back. Unfortunately, due to issues with their backups, they didn't/don't
> have a recent backup of many of the source code repositories. Therefore,
> they are having to get versions pushed back from developer's own git
> repositories (not sure what they plan for the cvs and svn repos).
>
> What this means is that the current repository is likely the one from
> the last reliable backup, which I think may have been as far back as
> April.
>
> So, my advice would be to wait another few days and see if the
> repository becomes more up-to-date.

thanks for clarifying, actually the server seemed to become up to date
once Giorgos replied.