all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bash builtin expansion in shell.el
@ 2009-06-13 19:07 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-06-13 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There are plenty of
bash$ help|wc
     46     449    3701
builtin bash commands that the *shell* buffer is unaware of, as it only
knows about $PATH.

So how can I get
bash$ hist<TAB>
to become
bash$ history ?

* Re: bash builtin expansion in shell.el
@ 2009-06-13 20:15 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.593.1244928793.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-13 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jidanni; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.06.2009 um 21:07 schrieb jidanni@jidanni.org:

> So how can I get
> bash$ hist<TAB>
> to become
> bash$ history ?

Either type "history" and then RET, or create aliases and make them
known to the *shell* buffer in the file ~/.emacs_bash. You can also
read in the documentation how to delegate the command expansion to
bash – in your example GNU Emacs' shell-mode tries to fulfil this.

I am a tcsh user. I have no quarrels with tcsh, shell-mode gives me
enough. Would you like to learn shell-mode, too? I mean, if you want
to use bash instead of GNU Emacs, why don't you use a more simple
mode, or no mode at all?

--
Greetings

   Pete                                           0
                                            %-/\_//
                                             (*)(*)

* Re: bash builtin expansion in shell.el
       [not found] <mailman.580.1244920049.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-13 20:57 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-06-13 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 13, 12:07 pm, jida...@jidanni.org wrote:
> There are plenty of
> bash$ help|wc
>      46     449    3701
> builtin bash commands that the *shell* buffer is unaware of, as it only
> knows about $PATH.
>
> So how can I get
> bash$ hist<TAB>
> to become
> bash$ history ?

i don't think the example you have is traditional unix. Perhaps you
forgot the dollar sign? Also, in my env, there's no “history” as env
var by default (never heard of that), but there's “$HIST”.

env var expansion works in emacs's shell command in both OS X and
Windows Vista. However, when you run shell in emacs, not necessarly
all your env var in terminal are inherited. The situation is a bit
complex depending on what OS you running.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: bash builtin expansion in shell.el
@ 2009-06-13 21:33   ` jidanni
       [not found]   ` <mailman.593.1244928793.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jidanni @ 2009-06-13 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Completing command name...
No completions of hist
Completing file name...
No completions of ali
PD> Either type "history" and then RET, or create aliases and make them
PD> known to the *shell* buffer in the file ~/.emacs_bash.
What do I do?
alias history=history
alias alias=alias
?

I am using the *shell* buffer in
$ emacs -f shell
instead of trying to use the remote readline functions of
$ ssh very-far-away-and-slow.org

Maybe I need to fool *shell* with a directory on $PATH fill of
executable links with the same names as the bash builtins?
touch bla
chmod 755 bla
ln history alias suspend typeset ... bla

* Re: bash builtin expansion in shell.el
@ 2009-06-15 17:24   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-06-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 13, 1:57 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 12:07 pm, jida...@jidanni.org wrote:
>
> > There are plenty of
> > bash$ help|wc
> >      46     449    3701
> > builtin bash commands that the *shell* buffer is unaware of, as it only
> > knows about $PATH.
>
> > So how can I get
> > bash$ hist<TAB>
> > to become
> > bash$ history ?
>
> i don't think the example you have is traditional unix. Perhaps you
> forgot the dollar sign? Also, in my env, there's no “history” as env
> var by default (never heard of that), but there's “$HIST”.
>
> env var expansion works in emacs's shell command in both OS X and
> Windows Vista. However, when you run shell in emacs, not necessarly
> all your env var in terminal are inherited. The situation is a bit
> complex depending on what OS you running.

Oops i glossed over your previous message. Just for posterity, never
mind my previous reply. :)

 Xah

@ 2009-06-15 17:39     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-06-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 13, 2:33 pm, jida...@jidanni.org wrote:
> Completing command name...
> No completions of hist
> Completing file name...
> No completions of ali
> PD> Either type "history" and then RET, or create aliases and make them
> PD> known to the *shell* buffer in the file ~/.emacs_bash.
> What do I do?
> alias history=history
> alias alias=alias
> ?
>
> I am using the *shell* buffer in
> $ emacs -f shell
> instead of trying to use the remote readline functions of
> $ ssh very-far-away-and-slow.org
>
> Maybe I need to fool *shell* with a directory on $PATH fill of
> executable links with the same names as the bash builtins?
> touch bla
> chmod 755 bla
> ln history alias suspend typeset ... bla

not sure what's your solution.

anyhow, this problem is not difficult to implement. For me, i'd say
few days full time.

• How To Implement Keyword Completion in Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_keyword_completion.html

I've also been using this package in the 2 years or so:
it support command and file name completions.

;;; shell-command.el --- enables tab-completion for `shell-command'
 http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el

however, it doesn't support bash keywords as in your message. Maybe
ask the person who did icicles... it is a package designed to do all
sort of completions, but i don't know if it solves your case. It's on
emacswiki.

@ 2009-06-19 22:12       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-06-19 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XL> ;;; shell-command.el --- enables tab-completion for `shell-command'
XL>  http://namazu.org/~tsuchiya/elisp/shell-command.el
M-! (shell-command) now has completion in emacs23