all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Leaner emacs for Android
@ 2009-08-28  0:30 news
From: news @ 2009-08-28  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
        I have Emacs running on my google (G1/HTC Dream) phone which is very handy
        (see here for details:
           http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid ).

        Currently it is using about 12MB on startup, but the RAM on the
        phone is very limited.
        I want to make it a bit leaner and faster. I suspect there are
        plenty of elisp packages loaded by default that I don't need.
        How do I find out what they are, and then stop them from loading
        by default?
        Any other advice on making it smaller/faster?

--
aleblanc

* Re: Leaner emacs for Android
@ 2009-09-01 13:20 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-09-01 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

news@aleblanc.cotse.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>         I have Emacs running on my google (G1/HTC Dream) phone which is very handy
>         (see here for details:
>            http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnAndroid ).
>
>         Currently it is using about 12MB on startup, but the RAM on the
>         phone is very limited.
>         I want to make it a bit leaner and faster. I suspect there are
>         plenty of elisp packages loaded by default that I don't need.
>         How do I find out what they are, and then stop them from loading
>         by default?

Start Emacs with the -Q option, then evaluate `features' in the *scratch*
buffer.

Delete unwanted packages from loadup.el (M-x find-library RET loadup) and
rebuild Emacs.

>         Any other advice on making it smaller/faster?

First, make sure your site-start.el, default.el, and ~/.emacs files don't
require/load any packages (use autoload instead).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA