all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ange-ftp on w32
@ 2009-11-13  9:39 B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.10635.1258112111.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have in .emacs

(require 'ange-ftp)

and under (custom-set-variables
 '(ange-ftp-default-user "myname@myisp")
 '(ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "c:\\gnu\\ftp.exe")
 '(ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password "anonymous")

After windows dialog boxes ask for real name and password I am asked for
local and remote files names but then nothing happens. If I run ftp
manually from command window the file is uploaded to my web space. This
is the gnutools ftp and not the one in winnt\system32. What else to I
need to do to run the ange-ftp commands from within Emacs?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: ange-ftp on w32
@ 2009-11-13 11:34 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.10635.1258112111.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-11-13 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: B. T. Raven; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> I have in .emacs
>
> (require 'ange-ftp)
>
> and under (custom-set-variables
>  '(ange-ftp-default-user "myname@myisp")
>  '(ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "c:\\gnu\\ftp.exe")
>  '(ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password "anonymous")
>
> After windows dialog boxes ask for real name and password I am asked for
> local and remote files names but then nothing happens. If I run ftp
> manually from command window the file is uploaded to my web space. This
> is the gnutools ftp and not the one in winnt\system32. What else to I
> need to do to run the ange-ftp commands from within Emacs?

Which Emacs version are you using? Since Emacs 22, ange-ftp is called
via Tramp, and you shouldn't need to require 'ange-ftp any longer in
your .emacs.

What does the *ftp ...* buffer tells?

> Thanks,
>
> Ed

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp on w32
       [not found] ` <mailman.10635.1258112111.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-13 19:33   ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10663.1258145543.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-13 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> I have in .emacs
>>
>> (require 'ange-ftp)
>>
>> and under (custom-set-variables
>>  '(ange-ftp-default-user "myname@myisp")
>>  '(ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "c:\\gnu\\ftp.exe")
>>  '(ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password "anonymous")
>>
>> After windows dialog boxes ask for real name and password I am asked for
>> local and remote files names but then nothing happens. If I run ftp
>> manually from command window the file is uploaded to my web space. This
>> is the gnutools ftp and not the one in winnt\system32. What else to I
>> need to do to run the ange-ftp commands from within Emacs?
>
> Which Emacs version are you using? Since Emacs 22, ange-ftp is called
> via Tramp, and you shouldn't need to require 'ange-ftp any longer in
> your .emacs.

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)
 of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON

> What does the *ftp ...* buffer tells?

I have no evidence that such a buffer is ever created. ?? Filezilla sort
of works but has to reconnect every few tens of kbytes.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ed
>
> Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp on w32
@ 2009-11-13 20:52     ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10663.1258145543.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-11-13 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: B. T. Raven; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

>> Which Emacs version are you using? Since Emacs 22, ange-ftp is called
>> via Tramp, and you shouldn't need to require 'ange-ftp any longer in
>> your .emacs.
>
> GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)
>  of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON
>>
>> What does the *ftp ...* buffer tells?
>
> I have no evidence that such a buffer is ever created. ?? Filezilla sort
> of works but has to reconnect every few tens of kbytes.

How do you open the remote file? You must use "/ftp:user@host:/path"

Could you, please, start "emacs -Q", and try it from there?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp on w32
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10663.1258145543.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-14  6:11       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-14  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>>> Which Emacs version are you using? Since Emacs 22, ange-ftp is called
>>> via Tramp, and you shouldn't need to require 'ange-ftp any longer in
>>> your .emacs.
>> GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)
>>  of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON
>>> What does the *ftp ...* buffer tells?
>> I have no evidence that such a buffer is ever created. ?? Filezilla sort
>> of works but has to reconnect every few tens of kbytes.
>
> How do you open the remote file? You must use "/ftp:user@host:/path"
>
> Could you, please, start "emacs -Q", and try it from there?
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Thanks, Michael. The problem was that I had ange-ftp-program set but not
ftp-program, so the ...\system32\ftp.exe was being used when I issued
M-x ftp.
What I wanted was to upload (send) and not necessarily open remote file.
Anyway when I type /ftp:  tramp loads and then the rest of
host/path/file, passwd, finally opens remote file locally.