all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-20 16:28 Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-11-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?

Thanks,

-ap

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-20 19:10 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-20 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
> bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension

With this you can actually import your w3m bookmarks in standard emacs
bookmarks (temporarily or definitely), you can also bookmark from
firefox to emacs bookmarks.

I plan to add also firefox bookmark importation (will be done soon).

So with that, all bookmarks will be centralized to standard emacs
bookmarks.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-20 19:20   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-20 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
>> bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?
>
> See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>
> With this you can actually import your w3m bookmarks in standard emacs
> bookmarks (temporarily or definitely), you can also bookmark from
> firefox to emacs bookmarks.
>
> I plan to add also firefox bookmark importation (will be done soon).

Could you perhaps also write them as an .org file?

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-20 19:39     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-20 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
> <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
>>> bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?
>>
>> See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>>
>> With this you can actually import your w3m bookmarks in standard emacs
>> bookmarks (temporarily or definitely), you can also bookmark from
>> firefox to emacs bookmarks.
>>
>> I plan to add also firefox bookmark importation (will be done soon).
>

> Could you perhaps also write them as an .org file?

When *.json file will be converted to elisp data (alist,hash-table,
etc...) everything is possible.

--

@ 2009-11-20 20:56       ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]         ` <mailman.11218.1258785430.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-11-20 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
>> <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

>>> With this you can actually import your w3m bookmarks in standard emacs
>>> bookmarks (temporarily or definitely), you can also bookmark from
>>> firefox to emacs bookmarks.
>>>
>>> I plan to add also firefox bookmark importation (will be done soon).
??
firefox -> emacs bookmarks
works, and you are working on
emacs bookmarks -> firefox
or the other way around.

>> Could you perhaps also write them as an .org file?

This would actually better fit the tree-structure of firefox, since
bookmarks are plain lists, no ?

       [not found] <mailman.11176.1258734543.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-20 22:54 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-11-20 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
> bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?

I use a package called bmk-mgr, which allows me to maintain bookmarks
from within w3m/w3. I also can import bookmarks from a firefox bookmarks
file and I think will export the bookmarks in a format firefox can
import.

To my knowledge, there isn't an elisp package which will allow you to
add/update bookmarks in a firefox bookmark file. Would probably be handy
if there was one.

Another alternative is I think the g-client package allows you to save
bookmarks to google web marks, which you could also use with firefox.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-21  6:30         ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]         ` <mailman.11218.1258785430.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-21  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> ??
> firefox -> emacs bookmarks
> works, and you are working on
> emacs bookmarks -> firefox
> or the other way around.

No,

- bookmarking a web page from Firefox to Emacs bookmarks works.

- bookmarking a web page from W3m in Emacs bookmarks works.

- Importing your W3m bookmarks in Emacs bookmarks works.

- Jumping to Firefox from one of these bookmarks works.

TODO:

- Importing Delicious bookmarks in Emacs bookmarks.

- Importing Firefox bookmarks in Emacs bookmarks.

--

@ 2009-11-21  8:24   ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-11-21  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
>> bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?
>>
> I use a package called bmk-mgr, which allows me to maintain bookmarks
> from within w3m/w3. I also can import bookmarks from a firefox bookmarks
> file and I think will export the bookmarks in a format firefox can
> import.

If bmk-mgr is able to export/import to/from firefox, that sounds like a
workable solution.

> To my knowledge, there isn't an elisp package which will allow you to
> add/update bookmarks in a firefox bookmark file. Would probably be handy
> if there was one.
>
> Another alternative is I think the g-client package allows you to save
> bookmarks to google web marks, which you could also use with firefox.

The idea behind this, looking for a third way, might be good.  We could
use a local html file and export there, maybe via org, by running some script
from firefox/emacs.

@ 2009-11-21 15:03           ` rustom
       [not found]             ` <mailman.11238.1258824109.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rustom @ 2009-11-21 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 21, 11:30 am, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> TODO:
>
> - Importing Firefox bookmarks in Emacs bookmarks.

In /.mozilla/firefox/<user>/ there is a sqlite database called
places.sqlite

If you copy that out (safer that way!) to some other directory say ~/
tmp
and there run
~/tmp$ sqlite3 places.sqlite

then give
select * from moz_places, moz_bookmarks where moz_places.id =
moz_bookmarks.fk
you get (I think!!) something like a dump of firefox's bookmarks
[My firefox is 3.5]

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-21 17:15             ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]             ` <mailman.11238.1258824109.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-21 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 21, 11:30 am, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> TODO:
>>
>> - Importing Firefox bookmarks in Emacs bookmarks.
>
> In /.mozilla/firefox/<user>/ there is a sqlite database called
> places.sqlite
>
> If you copy that out (safer that way!) to some other directory say ~/
> tmp
> and there run
> ~/tmp$ sqlite3 places.sqlite
>
> then give
> select * from moz_places, moz_bookmarks where moz_places.id =
> moz_bookmarks.fk
> you get (I think!!) something like a dump of firefox's bookmarks
> [My firefox is 3.5]

Thank you for this precious info. ;-)

--

@ 2009-11-21 17:43               ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2009-11-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 21, 10:15 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> rustom <rustompm...256@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Nov 21, 11:30 am, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...257@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> TODO:
>
> >> - Importing Firefox bookmarks in Emacs bookmarks.
>
> > In /.mozilla/firefox/<user>/ there is a sqlite database called
> > places.sqlite
>
> > If you copy that out (safer that way!) to some other directory say ~/
> > tmp
> > and there run
> > ~/tmp$ sqlite3 places.sqlite
>
> > then give
> > select * from moz_places, moz_bookmarks where moz_places.id =
> > moz_bookmarks.fk
> > you get (I think!!) something like a dump of firefox's bookmarks
> > [My firefox is 3.5]
>
> Thank you for this precious info. ;-)
>
> --
> A + Thierry Volpiatto
> Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

I think my sql is almost certainly wrong
I got some sense of whats there from here (but its not enough)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/The_Places_database
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite#Technical_Information
Also if you want to hack on sqlite its nice to have something like
sqlite manager (firefox plugin)

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-21 22:17                 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-21 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Nov 21, 10:15 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> rustom <rustompm...256@gmail.com> writes:

>> > In /.mozilla/firefox/<user>/ there is a sqlite database called
>> > places.sqlite
>>
>> > If you copy that out (safer that way!) to some other directory say ~/
>> > tmp
>> > and there run
>> > ~/tmp$ sqlite3 places.sqlite
>>
>> > then give
>> > select * from moz_places, moz_bookmarks where moz_places.id =
>> > moz_bookmarks.fk
>> > you get (I think!!) something like a dump of firefox's bookmarks
>> > [My firefox is 3.5]
>>
>> Thank you for this precious info. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> A + Thierry Volpiatto
>> Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France
>
> I think my sql is almost certainly wrong
> I got some sense of whats there from here (but its not enough)
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/The_Places_database
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Places.sqlite#Technical_Information
> Also if you want to hack on sqlite its nice to have something like
> sqlite manager (firefox plugin)

Thanks, it will be helpful as i have a poor knowledge of sql.

--

@ 2009-11-26 14:32     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-26 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
> <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> has somebody solved the problem of reading/writing the same set of
>>> bookmarks in firefox and w3m yet ?
>>
>> See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>>
>> With this you can actually import your w3m bookmarks in standard emacs
>> bookmarks (temporarily or definitely), you can also bookmark from
>> firefox to emacs bookmarks.
>>
>> I plan to add also firefox bookmark importation (will be done soon).
>

> Could you perhaps also write them as an .org file?

It's done now, See:

@ 2009-11-26 18:01       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-26 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
>> <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>>>
>>> With this you can actually import your w3m bookmarks in standard emacs
>>> bookmarks (temporarily or definitely), you can also bookmark from
>>> firefox to emacs bookmarks.
>>>
>>> I plan to add also firefox bookmark importation (will be done soon).
>>

>> Could you perhaps also write them as an .org file?
>
> It's done now, See:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension

Thanks for notification.

Do I understand it correctly?
- Are firefox bookmarks first imported as emacs bookmarks?
- And from there you export to org?
- What happens then with the hierarchy that was in firefox? Is it still there?

* Re: syncing w3m/firefox bookmarks
@ 2009-11-26 18:21         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-11-26 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
> <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Could you perhaps also write them as an .org file?
>>
>> It's done now, See:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/BookmarkExtension
>

> Thanks for notification.
>
> Do I understand it correctly?
> - Are firefox bookmarks first imported as emacs bookmarks?
No, that's independant, hit "P" in bookmark menu list (C-x r l) will
show your firefox bookmarks in bookmark interface.

> - And from there you export to org?
No, you create directly a org file with your firefox bookmarks:
M-x bmkext-firefox2org

> - What happens then with the hierarchy that was in firefox? Is it still there?

Yes they come in same order than what there is in bookmarks.html (the
firefox bookmarks).

I really don't know what you want to do exactly with org file, so i
provide a very basic function to make a file like:

,----
| * Firefox Bookmarks
|
| ** My first bookmark
| ** My second bookmark
`----

Maybe you want to store also bookmarks coming from other browser (e.g
w3m), in this case, i will enhance function to support syncing specific
section. (e.g update Firefox section without modifying w3m section).

NB: As said in precedents posts, Firefox>3 store bookmarks in
places.sqlite.

To enable Firefox autosync places.sqlite with bookmarks.html, you have
to add to user.js:

,----
| user_pref("browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", true);
`----

or set this to true in about:config interface (double click).