all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org-agenda todo list at startup
@ 2011-02-17  4:03 trebol55555
From: trebol55555 @ 2011-02-17  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I put in .emacs (org-todo-list t). The frame is divided in two
at start, but the org-agenda window still showing the scratch buffer.

Anyone can tell me how I can make the scratch buffer don't own the other
window?

Thanks, Trebol.

* Re: org-agenda todo list at startup
@ 2011-02-19  9:57 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-19  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

trebol55555@yahoo.es writes:

> I put in .emacs (org-todo-list t). The frame is divided in two
> at start, but the org-agenda window still showing the scratch buffer.

I cannot reproduce this with latest Org.  What version of Org and of
Emacs are you using?

> Anyone can tell me how I can make the scratch buffer don't own the other
> window?

I'm confused: is your scratch buffer stealing the Org agenda window, or
another window?

 Bastien

* Re: org-agenda todo list at startup
@ 2011-02-19 23:13   ` trebol55555
From: trebol55555 @ 2011-02-19 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Bastien, and thanks for reply.

The problem is when start emacs, the scratch buffer appears on all
windows, there is no problem in org (maybe I must change the
subject...): While .emacs is loading, (org-todo-list t) split the
window, but when the init process is finished, there is scratch on
everywhere. I want (org-todo-list -t) appear on a window, and the
scratch buffer stay at home as a good boy.

This is my Emacs:
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)

Org version isn't important, this will happen with any function put in
.emacs in the same form (here must be the problem, may poor knowledge of
lisp).

Bye,
Trebol.

@ 2011-02-20  2:06     ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-02-20  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

trebol55555@yahoo.es writes:

Hi trebol

Use the window-setup-hook. This hook shouldn't be used within a library
apparently, but is fine for your stuff. It runs after all the init and
customization stuff. This is what I do anyway...

(defun me-startup-in-agenda ()
  (split-window-horizontally)
  (my-load-org-files)
  (switch-to-buffer "home.org")
  (org-agenda-list))

  (add-hook 'window-setup-hook 'me-startup-in-agenda)

Regards

Martyn

@ 2011-02-20  4:30 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2011-02-20  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Martyn Jago writes:
> Use the window-setup-hook. This hook shouldn't be used within a library
> apparently, but is fine for your stuff.

Could you please explain this comment.  I ask because I do make use of the
window-setup-hook in a library I am writing.

Thanks.

* Re: org-agenda todo list at startup
@ 2011-02-20  4:32 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2011-02-20  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2011-02-20 12:41 ` Martyn Jago
From: Martyn Jago @ 2011-02-20 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ben Key <bkey76@gmail.com> writes:

> Martyn Jago writes:
>> Use the window-setup-hook. This hook shouldn't be used within a library
>> apparently, but is fine for your stuff.
>
> Could you please explain this comment.  I ask because I do make use of the
> window-setup-hook in a library I am writing.
>
> Thanks.

It was based on vaguely remember reading something to this effect. I
found it, and on re-reading perhaps I shouldn't have recommended its
use. I've never had any problems with it personally...

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Window-Systems.html

/
| Variable: window-setup-hook
|
|     This variable is a normal hook which Emacs runs after handling the
|     initialization files. Emacs runs this hook after it has completed
|     and the terminal-specific Lisp code, and running the hook
|     term-setup-hook.
|
|     This hook is used for internal purposes: setting up communication
|     with the window system, and creating the initial window. Users
|     should not interfere with it.
\

Martyn

* Re: org-agenda todo list at startup
@ 2011-02-20 15:09       ` trebol55555
From: trebol55555 @ 2011-02-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martyn Jago; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot Martyn, it's just I was looking for.

I use it in this way
(defun custom-startup ()
  (org-todo-list t)
  (switch-to-buffer "*Org Agenda*"))
(add-hook 'window-setup-hook 'custom-startup)

Thanks again,
Trebol.