all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Gnus compatibility with the lexical binding branch
       [not found]                     ` <jwv8vvx784u.fsf-monnier+INBOX@gnu.org>
@ 2011-04-08  5:51                       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-04-08  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:42:20 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Is there an example of how to do this properly, how to test that it's
>> correct, and is there any way to catch it at the byte-compile stage?

SM> Example, no, and neither "tests that it's correct", but the Texinfo doc
SM> includes a discussion of how to do it (using byte-compiler messages to
SM> catch likely problems).

I looked at (info "(elisp) Lexical Binding") and
(info "(elisp) Converting to Lexical Binding") and it was educational,
though a few examples would have been nice to explain how it all works,
especially what the resulting `closure' cons cell looks like.  Would you
like me to write something up?

(info "(elisp) Extent") incorrectly says that Emacs Lisp does not have
closures so it probably should be fixed.  I don't know the details well
enough to offer a patch.

Ted

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-04-08  5:51 UTC | newest]