all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* completion in M-x shell after the word "ssh"
@ 2011-07-13 22:04 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-07-13 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Recently in M-x shell,
after
$ ssh
completion becomes different.
Either tell me a way to turn this bonus feature off.
Or tell me a way to add my favorite hosts to a list that it is trying to
complete.
I did C-h k TAB but that is a forest help pages.

* Re: completion in M-x shell after the word "ssh"
       [not found] <mailman.195.1310594694.8699.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-07-16  0:00 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-07-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

j> Recently in M-x shell,
j> after
j> $ ssh
j> completion becomes different.
j> Either tell me a way to turn this bonus feature off.
j> Or tell me a way to add my favorite hosts to a list that it is trying to
j> complete.
j> I did C-h k TAB but that is a forest help pages.

Our first step into the forest is

   TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command completion-at-point,
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `minibuffer.el'.

   It is bound to TAB, <menu-bar> <completion> <complete>.

   (completion-at-point)

   Perform completion on the text around point.
   The completion method is determined by `completion-at-point-functions'.

@ 2011-07-16 15:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-07-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Recently in M-x shell,

I guess "recently" means "using Emacs Bzr trunk".

> after
> $ ssh
> completion becomes different.

Right, it's done according to pcomplete/ssh.

> Either tell me a way to turn this bonus feature off.

I think that (defun pcomplete/ssh () nil) should do the trick.

> Or tell me a way to add my favorite hosts to a list that it is trying to
> complete.

Look at the source code of pcomplete/ssh to see how that list is built.
Basically, adding hosts in your .ssh/config or .ssh/known_hosts should
do the trick.