all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
To: Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com>
Cc: "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org" <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: dir-locals confusion
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:13:39 +0530	[thread overview]

Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> writes:

> Recently (possibly with an upgrade to emacs 24.1.1) I'm frequently getting this message:
>     Error reading dir-locals: (file-error "Opening input file" "not a
> directory" "/cygdrive/q/.../tlock.c/.dir-locals.el")
>
> I see this frequently (but not always) under Cygwin and never under AIX 6.1.
>
> I do, of course, hack emacs, but I can't think of anything I've done
> that might have to do with dir-locals. Except for X configuration, I
> use exactly the same code on AIX and Cygwin.
>
> Since the obvious question is too vague, I'll simply ask this:
>     Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Orgmode git tree used to have a .dir-locals.el that was "symlinked" to
.dir-settings.el[1].  I was facing similar errors and was likewise
confused.  So check for symlinks and replace the linked files with
actual physical copies.  The problem would go away.

Footnotes:

[1] I don't find reference to .dir-settings.el in my Emacs info.  It is
possible that .dir-locals.el used to be known as .dir-settings.el.