all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient unable to handle cedille ç
@ 2012-11-18  1:43 edu500ac
From: edu500ac @ 2012-11-18  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I noticed that emacsclient is unable to handle ç (cedille, cedilla, cédille). If I try to type a word with ç (cedille), emacsclient issues a hyphen on the next line. The problem does not happens with emacs itself.

I am not sure whether this is a configuration problem, or a bug in emacsclient. If it is a bug, I would like to report it (and hope it will be fixed). Is there a bug report site for emacsclient? If it is a configuration problem, please let me know how to configure emacsclient to accept cedille.

For the time being, I defined a key in .emacs to insert cedilled in the text. Here is my definition:

(defun cedil()
   (interactive)
   (insert "ç"))

(global-set-key (kbd "M-n") 'cedil)

That definition work, which means that the problem lies in the key itself, not in the character used. I wonder whether the problem happens also in French keyboard layouts.

* Re: emacsclient unable to handle cedille ç
@ 2012-11-18 17:45 ` edu500ac
From: edu500ac @ 2012-11-18 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It seems that the problem lies in the use of the daemon. If I run emacs with the --iconic option, everything works perfectly well:

emacs --eval "(server-start)" --iconic --quiet &

Now I can run an emacsclient and it works perfectly well (slightly slower than vim, though).

#!/bin/bash
emacsclient -q -t "$@"
#Put this file in  /usr/bin/ed
#You will need sudo for that

I don't like this solution very much, because the icon stays hanging somewhere on the Desktop. I would be pleased if somebody could tell me how to make the daemon work.

* Re: emacsclient unable to handle cedille ç
@ 2012-11-18 23:09   ` William Gardella
From: William Gardella @ 2012-11-18 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

edu500ac@gmail.com writes:

> It seems that the problem lies in the use of the daemon. If I run
> emacs with the --iconic option, everything works perfectly well:
>
> emacs --eval "(server-start)" --iconic --quiet &
>
> Now I can run an emacsclient and it works perfectly well (slightly
> slower than vim, though).
>
> #!/bin/bash
> emacsclient -q -t "$@"
> #Put this file in  /usr/bin/ed
> #You will need sudo for that
>
> I don't like this solution very much, because the icon stays hanging
> somewhere on the Desktop. I would be pleased if somebody could tell me
> how to make the daemon work.

I use emacsclient frames and --daemon exclusively and cannot reproduce
this error (Emacs 24.2.1, compiled from release tarball on Debian
GNU/Linux 7.0), so this is likely a configuration problem.

Best,
WGG

* Re: emacsclient unable to handle cedille ç
@ 2012-11-19 19:31     ` edu500ac
From: edu500ac @ 2012-11-19 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:09:23 PM UTC-3, William Gardella wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Ed Kostas writes:
>

> > It seems that the problem lies in the use of the daemon. If I run
>
> > emacs with the --iconic option, everything works perfectly well:
>

> > emacs --eval "(server-start)" --iconic --quiet &
>

> > Now I can run an emacsclient and it works perfectly well (slightly
>
> > slower than vim, though).
>

> > #!/bin/bash
>
> > emacsclient -q -t "$@"
>
> > #Put this file in  /usr/bin/ed
>
> > #You will need sudo for that
>

> > I don't like this solution very much, because the icon stays hanging
>
> > somewhere on the Desktop. I would be pleased if somebody could tell me
>
> > how to make the daemon work.
>

> I use emacsclient frames and --daemon exclusively and cannot reproduce
>
> this error (Emacs 24.2.1, compiled from release tarball on Debian
>
> GNU/Linux 7.0), so this is likely a configuration problem.
>

> Best,
>
> WGG

The bug may be connected with GTK, and depends the way utf-8 is implemented. Another person in this group had the same problem. The solution consists in recompiling Emacs with lucid, and xaw3dg. Here is what I did:

~/$ sudo apt-get install xaw3dg-dev

~/emacs-24.2$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-x-toolkit=lucid

~/emacs-24.2$ make

~/emacs-24.2$ make install

A few people reported that the lucid gadgets may not support well Emacs menus. In my case, the cedilla problem was solved, and I did not have the menus are working perfectly well.

* Re: emacsclient unable to handle cedille ç
@ 2012-11-19 20:05       ` William Gardella
From: William Gardella @ 2012-11-19 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

edu500ac@gmail.com writes:

> On Sunday, November 18, 2012 8:09:23 PM UTC-3, William Gardella wrote:
>
> The bug may be connected with GTK, and depends the way utf-8 is
> implemented. Another person in this group had the same problem. The
> solution consists in recompiling Emacs with lucid, and xaw3dg. Here is
> what I did:
>
> ~/$ sudo apt-get install xaw3dg-dev
>
> ~/emacs-24.2$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>
> ~/emacs-24.2$ make
>
> ~/emacs-24.2$ make install
>
> A few people reported that the lucid gadgets may not support well
> Emacs menus. In my case, the cedilla problem was solved, and I did not
> have the menus are working perfectly well.

Aha!  That explains it.  I build Emacs with ./configure
--with-x-toolkit=no, which is an X build without either Gtk or Lucid
widgets included.

-WGG

--
I use grml (http://grml.org/)