all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd)
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs keyboard
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 10:00:31 -0500	[thread overview]

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On 05/01/2013 04:33, David Combs wrote:
>
>> I find that standard keyboards, with the control-key down at the
>> bottom, a real pain to use with emacs, vi, and any other program
>> that uses control-chars as commands.
>>
>> Sun (er, oracle) makes that type of keyboard, but
>> also makes one with the control key immediately left
>> of the "A" key, where it was on the original
>> teletype-like machine (name escapes me now, but it
>> ended in "33").
>>
>> That placement sure makes it easier to use programs
>> like emacs and vi.
>>
>> David
>
> But, with control in the home row you lose symmetry. I find it most
> convenient to press all modifiers with one hand and the actual key with
> another. That would not be possible with one control in all cases. And
> with chords consisting only of Control, Alt and Shift, it's much less
> pain to have Control at the bottom... Control in the home row is best
> for simple keys like `C-f', but what to do with `C-M-t', for example?

Interesting, I've never thought much about that.

I've always been a left-hand Ctl or Meta person, but I like your idea,
if I can train my fingers.

Right now, for C-M-t, I press C and M with my left pinky and thumb, and
reach across for the t with my right hand.  Otherwise, I do a three key
chord with my left hand.

Using the right hand for C and M would make things easier.

Thanks for the (to most people, obvious, but not me) idea!

Dave