all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there a hook when current window or buffer changes?
@ 2013-04-02 19:15 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-02 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Advising functions is limited. For example, if you select a window with
your mouse, no function is called interactively, it just changes the window.

Maybe I can use the same hook modeline uses to know how to color itself
active or inactive?

-Steven

* Re: Is there a hook when current window or buffer changes?
       [not found] <mailman.23326.1364930131.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-02 19:43 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2013-04-02 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Advising functions is limited. For example, if you select a window with
> your mouse, no function is called interactively, it just changes the window.

mouse-leave-buffer-hook?
mouse-select-window?
mouse-drag-region?

> Maybe I can use the same hook modeline uses to know how to color itself
> active or inactive?

Not a good idea. A lot of the modeline handling isn't done in lisp.

@ 2013-04-02 21:08 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-04-02 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Advising functions is limited. For example, if you select a window
> with your mouse, no function is called interactively, it just changes
> the window.

No, `mouse-set-point' is called.

> Maybe I can use the same hook modeline uses to know how to color
> itself active or inactive?

What do you want to do, at the end?

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: Is there a hook when current window or buffer changes?
@ 2013-04-02 21:28   ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-02 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I created a thread `auto-dim-other-windows` about it.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-02 21:32 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-04-02 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi again,

to your original question: no, there is no hook and no trivial
substitute AFAIK.

The reason may be that Emacs often temporarily selects different windows
in the background.  An example is `walk-windows', which explicitly calls
`select-window'.  So, if there was a hook, it would presumably be called
all the time in situations where you wouldn't expect it.

The solution to your problem depends on what you want to do.
`post-command-hook' could be an option.

Regards,

Michael.