all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Switching to a buffer in .emacs does not work
@ 2013-05-21  8:04 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2013-05-21  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my .emacs I have:
    (gnus)
    (switch-to-buffer "*Group*")

But when starting emacs Gnus is started, but the switch to the *Group*
buffer does not happen. (That is why I initially thought Gnus was not
started.)

But when I give after the switch-to-buffer:
    M-x M-e

I switch to the buffer. So the command is correct. Why does it not
work then?

I am using:
    GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4) of 2013-02-21 on build02

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: Switching to a buffer in .emacs does not work
@ 2013-05-22 14:13 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-05-22 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/21/13 2:04 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> In my .emacs I have:
>      (gnus)
>      (switch-to-buffer "*Group*")
>
> But when starting emacs Gnus is started, but the switch to the *Group*
> buffer does not happen. (That is why I initially thought Gnus was not
> started.)

What does it display?  My guess is the splash screen.

> But when I give after the switch-to-buffer:
>      M-x M-e

Do you mean C-x C-e (which is bound to eval-last-sexp in Emacs-Lisp buffers
like .emacs)?

> I switch to the buffer. So the command is correct. Why does it not
> work then?

See the "Entering Emacs" node of the Emacs manual, and the command-line-1
function in startup.el

You could try adding this to your .emacs:

(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

Or start Emacs like this (via an alias or script, for convenience):

emacs -f gnus --eval '(switch-to-buffer "*Group*")'

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA