all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Add a paragraph describing a package
@ 2013-06-19 13:44 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-19 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development List

I am going through all the packages in marmalade and my brain is getting
numb.

Some packages seem interesting but I can't tell from the one line
summary.

I feel that it is not giving me enough information. Like the Debian
package manager there should be a paragraph giving more details.

The paragraph would be displayed when pressing RET on a line in the
package list. It would appear next to the 'install' button. It would be,
of course, optional.

Is there interest for this feature?

* Re: Add a paragraph describing a package
@ 2013-06-19 13:57 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2013-06-19 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Emacs Development List

Ivan> I am going through all the packages in marmalade and my brain is getting
Ivan> numb.

Ivan> Some packages seem interesting but I can't tell from the one line
Ivan> summary.

Ivan> I feel that it is not giving me enough information. Like the Debian
Ivan> package manager there should be a paragraph giving more details.

Ivan> The paragraph would be displayed when pressing RET on a line in the
Ivan> package list. It would appear next to the 'install' button. It would be,
Ivan> of course, optional.

Ivan> Is there interest for this feature?

This feature already exists, or at least it used to -- I didn't check
recently.

The old uploader code at least would extract the commentary from a
package, and you could view it from the package menu.

Tom

* Re: Add a paragraph describing a package
@ 2013-06-19 15:01   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2013-06-19 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Emacs Development List

June, 19 at 7:57 Tom Tromey wrote:

> Ivan> The paragraph would be displayed when pressing RET on a line in the
> Ivan> package list. It would appear next to the 'install' button. It would be,
> Ivan> of course, optional.

> This feature already exists, or at least it used to -- I didn't check
> recently.

The feature indeed exists. I just saw it as I am now looking at ELPA
packages.
--
Rhythmic variations in the voltage reaching the power supply..
    -- BOFH excuse #16

* Re: Add a paragraph describing a package
@ 2013-06-19 21:51     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-06-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Emacs Development List

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

>> Ivan> The paragraph would be displayed when pressing RET on a line in the
>> Ivan> package list. It would appear next to the 'install' button. It would be,
>> Ivan> of course, optional.
>
>> This feature already exists, or at least it used to -- I didn't check
>> recently.
>
> The feature indeed exists. I just saw it as I am now looking at ELPA
> packages.

Yes, it's a bug in Marmalade:
http://code.google.com/p/marmalade/issues/detail?id=36

The pages for the same packages on marmalade-repo.org often contain the
descriptions missing from package.el inteface.