all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired error: invalid byte code
@ 2013-07-15 15:53 Haines Brown
       [not found] ` <mailman.1131.1373930087.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Haines Brown @ 2013-07-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For no obvious reason, my dired-create-directory function ceased to work
with this error:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid byte code in
  /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/dired-aux.elc")
  call-interactively(dired-create-directory nil nil)

I don't believe I fiddled with emacs since I last used "+". I have no
problem creating the directory with mkdir and then have emacs direct
copy files into it.

Haines Brown

* Re: dired error: invalid byte code
@ 2013-07-15 23:14 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1131.1373930087.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-07-15 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:

> For no obvious reason, my dired-create-directory function ceased to work
> with this error:
>
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid byte code in
>   /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/dired-aux.elc")
>   call-interactively(dired-create-directory nil nil)

You may get such errors e.g. after upgrading Emacs when still running an
instance of the old Emacs.

You may also need to recompile some files manually.  But most of the
time, when I got such an error, restarting Emacs was enough.

BTW, what do you mean with "your" dired-create-directory function?
Did you redefine it?

Regards,

Michael.

@ 2013-07-16  1:48   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2013-07-16  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:
>
>> For no obvious reason, my dired-create-directory function ceased to work
>> with this error:
>>
>>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid byte code in
>>   /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/dired-aux.elc")
>>   call-interactively(dired-create-directory nil nil)
>
> But most of the time, when I got such an error, restarting Emacs was
> enough.

That did the trick. Never occurred to me to do that because I've been
using emacs for years without ever having to restart to solve a
problem. Thanks.