all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there a hook before before-make-frame-hook for new frames?
       [not found] <87wqj4txg0.fsf@linaro.org>
@ 2013-12-16 20:16 ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2013-12-16 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm trying to optimise a fix for running Emacs under ChromeOS that means
I need to disable Frame Buffer Compression on the system before the X
window frame is created. See:

https://github.com/stsquad/emacs-chromebooks/commit/2de6546dd2bfb64e60b833397299659880f11501

However it doesn't seem to be working. Is there a hook before Emacs
starts sending anything to the X window system when a new frame is
created?

Cheers,

--
Alex Bennée
http://www.bennee.com/~alex

* Re: Is there a hook before before-make-frame-hook for new frames?
@ 2013-12-16 20:25   ` William G. Gardella
From: William G. Gardella @ 2013-12-16 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Bennée <kernel-hacker@bennee.com> writes:

[...]

> Is there a hook before Emacs starts sending anything to the X window
> system when a new frame is created?

`before-make-frame-hook' perhaps.

* Re: Is there a hook before before-make-frame-hook for new frames?
@ 2013-12-17 13:33     ` Alex Bennée
From: Alex Bennée @ 2013-12-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William G. Gardella; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

wgg2@member.fsf.org writes:

> Alex Bennée <kernel-hacker@bennee.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Is there a hook before Emacs starts sending anything to the X window
>> system when a new frame is created?
>
> `before-make-frame-hook' perhaps.

Yes that's been what I've been using. It seems the problem is there is a
lag between writing the fbc control word and the change being made to
the internal state of the driver.

I suspect I need to be a bit more clever, I'm just not sure how yet.

Cheers,

--
Alex Bennée
http://www.bennee.com/~alex