all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Face for the space in the window beneath the contents of the buffer?
@ 2014-02-05 17:14 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-02-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs

I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
for the space beneath the buffer in the window.

So if I have a buffer with

```
this is the last line of text in the file

``` note the 2 blank lines at the bottom of the file

displayed in a window that looks like

```
snth
satoe
this is the last line of text in the file

``` Note the 2 extra blank lines

I'd like:

```
Normal Faces
Normal Faces
Normal Faces
Normal Faces
Normal Faces
Face indicating not part of buffer
Face indicating not part of buffer
```

Or something similar.

Thoughts?

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: Face for the space in the window beneath the contents of the buffer?
@ 2014-02-05 21:56 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2014-02-05 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

Tim Visher (2014-02-05 21:14 +0400) wrote:

> I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
> ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
> for the space beneath the buffer in the window.

Not exactly what you want, but you can use:

(setq-default indicate-empty-lines t)

Also I like this:

(setq-default indicate-buffer-boundaries 'left)

See (info "(elisp) Fringe Indicators") for details.

* Re: Face for the space in the window beneath the contents of the buffer?
@ 2014-02-06 14:04 ` Dani Moncayo
From: Dani Moncayo @ 2014-02-06 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
> ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
> for the space beneath the buffer in the window.
>
> [...]
>
> I'd like:
>
> ```
> Normal Faces
> Normal Faces
> Normal Faces
> Normal Faces
> Normal Faces
> Face indicating not part of buffer
> Face indicating not part of buffer
> ```
>
> Or something similar.
>
> Thoughts?

I think it would be a nice feature.  I'd prefer that over the current
indicators at the fringe.  And moreover, in some situations where
there isn't fringes (eg. on TTY sessions) this would be the only
option to visually show the boundary of the text.

So, I suggest you to report a feature request about this (M-x report-emacs-bug).

--
Dani Moncayo

* Re: Face for the space in the window beneath the contents of the buffer?
@ 2014-02-06 14:27   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-02-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: emacs

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Visher (2014-02-05 21:14 +0400) wrote:
>
>> I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
>> ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
>> for the space beneath the buffer in the window.
>
> Not exactly what you want, but you can use:
>
> (setq-default indicate-empty-lines t)
>
> Also I like this:
>
> (setq-default indicate-buffer-boundaries 'left)
>
> See (info "(elisp) Fringe Indicators") for details.

Indeed. When I was running GUI Emacs I would use this with impunity
and to great effect. But now that I live inside tmux at all times I
don't have fringes, hence the Face request.

From: Tim Visher @ 2014-02-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dani Moncayo; +Cc: emacs

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Dani Moncayo <dmoncayo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
>> ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
>> for the space beneath the buffer in the window.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'd like:
>>
>> ```
>> Normal Faces
>> Normal Faces
>> Normal Faces
>> Normal Faces
>> Normal Faces
>> Face indicating not part of buffer
>> Face indicating not part of buffer
>> ```
>>
>> Or something similar.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I think it would be a nice feature.  I'd prefer that over the current
> indicators at the fringe.  And moreover, in some situations where
> there isn't fringes (eg. on TTY sessions) this would be the only
> option to visually show the boundary of the text.
>
> So, I suggest you to report a feature request about this (M-x report-emacs-bug).

Sounds good. :)

--

       [not found] <mailman.13823.1391620498.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-02-06 14:35 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-02-06 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
> I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
> ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
> for the space beneath the buffer in the window.

The snippet given here
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightEndOfBuffer, even if it dates
back from 2001, still works fine in a current Emacs snapshot.

I also agree having a dedicated feature inside Emacs would be
interesting.

--
DW

* Re: Face for the space in the window beneath the contents of the buffer?
@ 2014-02-06 15:19   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-02-06 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Damien Wyart; +Cc: emacs

Hi Damien,

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> wrote:
> * Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
>> I'd like some visual indication of where the contents of the buffer
>> ends. I've always thought it would be nice to have a different color
>> for the space beneath the buffer in the window.
>
> The snippet given here
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightEndOfBuffer, even if it dates
> back from 2001, still works fine in a current Emacs snapshot.
>
> I also agree having a dedicated feature inside Emacs would be
> interesting.

Thanks very much for the pointer.