Eli Zaretskii [2014-06-20 21:34:01 +03:00] wrote: > If there are so many of them, where are all those users? why didn't > anyone submit changes to ispell.el to support those languages and > spell-checkers? Why didn't you, for that matter? I thought that flyspell-mode was too slow and had problems with back-ends with decent Finnish support (Enchant and now obsolete tmispell-voikko). I switched to speck-mode[1] for a while. It was better but still too slow in some situations and didn't work with Enchant. It, too, was tied to ispell interface. I began to think that more generic approach is better. So I wrote wcheck-mode[2] which has very different configuration concepts, and it's fast. You asked where are all those users and why they haven't contributed to ispell.el. I can only speak for myself. I think that, with very different spell-checker concepts, it's easier to write a new checker From scratch. That's kind of contribution too. I got what I wanted: fast on-the-fly checker which works with anything and is very configurable. Maybe some of those "other people" are using wcheck-mode too so their itch have been scratched and they don't need to care about ispell.el. But even if flyspell was replaced with my wcheck-mode (which I'm not suggesting) I wouldn't enable it by default. The reason is the same: too intrusive, so much unknown variables outside the scope of Emacs. -------------------- 1. http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SpeckMode 2. https://github.com/tlikonen/wcheck-mode