all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Gnus temporary group?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 01:46:08 +0200	[thread overview]

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> I have a school class that will be sending me lots of
> email, which I want to keep in its own folder. But
> when the semester is over I will want to disolve that
> folder and archive the emails back in my mail.misc.
> What's the preferred solution for a case like this?

How about giving that old-school group a very low
priority, so it won't bother you? It'll still be there
if you need to go back and check:
gnus-group-set-current-level

Otherwise B-m, as said: gnus-summary-move-article

Also, how did those student mails get into one group?
Did you split it that way? If so, split it the other
way (to where you want it, now), and then use
`gnus-summary-respool-article': here is an example:

(defun respool-mail ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (let ((lines (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (gnus-summary-respool-article
       lines
       (gnus-find-method-for-group "nnml:mail.misc") ))))

There is also a more complicated, but persistent
solution that may not be what you want as you only want
to do this once - anyway, it is called "Virtual
Groups", basically defining one group to be the sum of
two (or more) groups. Look for it in the Gnus manual if
you feel brave.

But the way I would (not) do it, is to simply downgrade
the group so it won't bother you but will remain.

--
underground experts united