all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Elisp addiction not as bad in light of Linux forkoholism
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 02:55:39 +0100	[thread overview]

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm)
writes:

>>> The upcoming Debian (Jessie, Debian 8) is now in
>>> freeze and has emacs-24.4. By chance I just had to
>>> install it and if you are interested I can give
>>> you a quick installation guide privately.
>>
>> I have 24.4 as well and I got that straight from
>> the repos with aptitude. What are you guys talking
>> about? :)
>
> Well, sure compiling is an option as well, but
> usually it's more convenient to use the distro's
> packages. For example, you want to have bbdb3?
>
> sudo aptitude install bbdb3

Yeah...? No, I use aptitude for everything as well.
That is one of the really big breezes of fresh air (or
tornados I should say) which most people experience
when they switch from Windoze to a packet-manager
Unix-like systems like Linux/Debian. Not having to
wade through all those search engines, sites and
banners, having to "confirm" mails with codes, silly
popups counting the days before it "expires", all that
just to get a piece of software, when you have seen
the other side when none of that is needed, it is very
difficult to go back without feeling like an idiot.

--
underground experts united