all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Init script used when starting from `su' terminal
@ 2014-12-18 12:21 Álvar Ibeas
From: Álvar Ibeas @ 2014-12-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

According to the Emacs info manual, ``if you run Emacs from a shell
started by `su', Emacs tries to find your own `.emacs', not that of
the user you are currently pretending to be.  The idea is that you
should get your own editor customizations even if you are running as
the super user.''

This doesn't work for me (I need a symlink at `/root' pointing to the
init script in my user folder).

The manual follows: ``More precisely, Emacs first determines which
user's init file to use.  It gets your user name from the environment
variables `LOGNAME' and `USER'.''

In my system, when I change to `root' with `su', the variable
`LOGNAME' changes to `root' as well. However, the command `logname'
returns the username employed as login.

Is my variable `LOGNAME' misbehaving or should this be reported as a
bug?

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-12-18 12:21 UTC | newest]