all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Helm: How to add empty lines?
@ 2015-01-26 11:22 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-26 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

I keep running in to this fairly severe problem with Helm, particularly in conjunction with other modes: frequently I need to just enter an empty line (org mode: resetting an item's tags; bookmark+: ending tag input; directory search: just open the directory, not files; the list goes on and on). But there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do this. Help!

Helm needs the ability to add empty entries, not just auto-filled suggestions.

* Re: Helm: How to add empty lines?
@ 2015-01-26 11:51 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-01-26 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> I keep running in to this fairly severe problem with Helm,
> particularly in conjunction with other modes: frequently I need to
> just enter an empty line (org mode: resetting an item's tags;
> bookmark+: ending tag input; directory search: just open the
> directory, not files; the list goes on and on). But there doesn't seem
> to be an obvious way to do this. Help!
>
> Helm needs the ability to add empty entries, not just auto-filled suggestions.

Usually its C-RET to input an empty value. Give that a shot?

* Re: Helm: How to add empty lines?
@ 2015-01-26 11:52   ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-26 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Beautiful; it works. Funny I couldn't find that listed anywhere. Thanks!

@ 2015-01-26 12:44     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-01-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Beautiful; it works. Funny I couldn't find that listed
> anywhere. Thanks!

The info is in the mode-line.  Most people don't seem to expect that
info there though.

* Re: Helm: How to add empty lines?
@ 2015-01-26 16:01       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-01-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:
>
>> Beautiful; it works. Funny I couldn't find that listed
>> anywhere. Thanks!
>
> The info is in the mode-line.  Most people don't seem to expect that
> info there though.

It's true Helm puts way more information in the mode line than most
other packages. "C-c ?" usually also gets you a command-specific help
page. One could also wish for an Info manual, but that might be getting
a bit greedy :)

* Re: Helm: How to add empty lines?
@ 2015-01-26 16:02         ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Speaking of info manuals, I admit I've wondered why Helm doesn't use the usual help facilities emacs offers; why the funny interface/formatting/browsing method all its own?