all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A more sophisticated (format "%f" ...)?
@ 2015-06-14 19:10 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-06-14 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I need to format a float so that I get /at most/ 2 decimal digits after
point /and/ at most 5 characters altogether.  For instance,

2 -> 2
2.34567 -> 2.35
123.456 -> 123.5
123456 -> XXXXX (since this is too long to fit in 5 characters;
alternatively, I can more or less safely assume that it's less than 1000)

Is there anything like that in Elisp (or some library), or do I have to
write it myself?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: A more sophisticated (format "%f" ...)?
       [not found] <mailman.5001.1434309027.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-06-14 21:39 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-06-14 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi all,
>
> I need to format a float so that I get /at most/ 2 decimal digits after
> point /and/ at most 5 characters altogether.  For instance,
>
> 2 -> 2
> 2.34567 -> 2.35
> 123.456 -> 123.5
> 123456 -> XXXXX (since this is too long to fit in 5 characters;
> alternatively, I can more or less safely assume that it's less than 1000)
>
> Is there anything like that in Elisp (or some library), or do I have to
> write it myself?

The later.