all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* feature proposal: vc-annotate for hg: include the author
@ 2015-10-14  8:25 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-10-14  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello

When I run vc-annotate in a file which is under git control the author
is shown. When I do the same for a file under hg control the author is
not shown.

However from the command line I can do

 hg annotate -u file.tex

And the author is displayed.

I don't see any variable which would allow me to make use of this
option.

Could that me added? Something like vc-annotate-backend-option or so.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: feature proposal: vc-annotate for hg: include the author
@ 2015-10-14 10:38 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-10-14 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 10/14/2015 11:25 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I don't see any variable which would allow me to make use of this
> option.
>
> Could that me added? Something like vc-annotate-backend-option or so.

Try (setq vc-hg-annotate-switches "-u").

The variable doesn't exist before that, but vc-switches is fine with it.

* Re: feature proposal: vc-annotate for hg: include the author
@ 2015-10-14 12:10   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-10-14 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 10/14/2015 11:25 AM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> I don't see any variable which would allow me to make use of this
>> option.
>>
>> Could that me added? Something like vc-annotate-backend-option or so.

> Try (setq vc-hg-annotate-switches "-u").

> The variable doesn't exist before that, but vc-switches is fine with it.

It works thanks!, but this looks like magic to me, how does the code know how to
use this variable?

* Re: feature proposal: vc-annotate for hg: include the author
@ 2015-10-14 13:29     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-10-14 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 10/14/2015 03:10 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> It works thanks!, but this looks like magic to me, how does the code know how to
> use this variable?

See the explanation for vc-backend-diff-switches here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Old-Revisions.html

IIRC, since Emacs 25, the vc-annotate implementations do the same.

* Re: feature proposal: vc-annotate for hg: include the author
@ 2015-10-14 14:11       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-10-14 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 10/14/2015 03:10 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> It works thanks!, but this looks like magic to me, how does the code know how to
>> use this variable?

> See the explanation for vc-backend-diff-switches here:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Old-Revisions.html

> IIRC, since Emacs 25, the vc-annotate implementations do the same.

I see, however I just noted  with this switch there is no coloring
anymore in the annotation buffer.

* Re: feature proposal: vc-annotate for hg: include the author
@ 2015-10-14 15:27         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-10-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 10/14/2015 05:11 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> I see, however I just noted  with this switch there is no coloring
> anymore in the annotation buffer.

Um, yes, that's a possible problem. I suppose vc-hg-annotate-re will
have to be updated, to support both forms of output.