all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-10-31 18:42 Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2015-10-31 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I know there is an evil list but I've tried twice and had not response
when trying to join.

In vi/vim, to find a file I type :ex. In evil this quits emacs. So, do
people use C-z C-x C-f to find a file? I'm using helm, so for me it is
C-z C-x C-f C-k ./ to find a file...

Do you know where I can find a list of ex commands in evil. I didn't
immediately find it looking at evil-ex.el.

Kendall

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-10-31 19:28 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-10-31 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com> writes:

> I know there is an evil list but I've tried twice and had not response
> when trying to join.

You can post through gmane.org using a news reader.

> In vi/vim, to find a file I type :ex. In evil this quits emacs. So, do
> people use C-z C-x C-f to find a file? I'm using helm, so for me it is
> C-z C-x C-f C-k ./ to find a file...

For editing a file in vim you use

:e {file}

In Evil you type `:e TAB' and a list of completions will be shown. `:e'
always worked on vim too. Apparently `:ex' is too new, hence
unimplemented in Evil and is autocompleted to `exit'.

> Do you know where I can find a list of ex commands in evil. I didn't
> immediately find it looking at evil-ex.el.

Search for evil-ex-define-cmd in evil-map.el.

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-10-31 19:34 ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-10-31 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com> writes:
> In vi/vim, to find a file I type :ex. In evil this quits emacs. So, do
> people use C-z C-x C-f to find a file? I'm using helm, so for me it is
> C-z C-x C-f C-k ./ to find a file...

That's a pretty obscure command (though it does exist, so it's arguably
a bug in evil that it doesn't have it). Most people, whether they're
using vi, vim, or I assume evil, use :e (which is short for :edit).

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-10-31 20:43   ` Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2015-10-31 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/31/2015 12:28 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com> writes:
>
>> I know there is an evil list but I've tried twice and had not response
>> when trying to join.
> You can post through gmane.org using a news reader.
>
>> In vi/vim, to find a file I type :ex. In evil this quits emacs. So, do
>> people use C-z C-x C-f to find a file? I'm using helm, so for me it is
>> C-z C-x C-f C-k ./ to find a file...
> For editing a file in vim you use
>
> :e {file}
>
> In Evil you type `:e TAB' and a list of completions will be shown. `:e'
> always worked on vim too. Apparently `:ex' is too new, hence
> unimplemented in Evil and is autocompleted to `exit'.
>
>> Do you know where I can find a list of ex commands in evil. I didn't
>> immediately find it looking at evil-ex.el.
> Search for evil-ex-define-cmd in evil-map.el.

Thank you, that is certainly shorter than switching to emacs mode.

The command :ex is what I have been using in vi since 1982. In vi it
switches to ex (the line editor that came after ed) mode.

Kendall

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-10-31 22:23     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-10-31 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kendall Shaw wrote:
> The command :ex is what I have been using in vi since 1982. In vi it
> switches to ex (the line editor that came after ed) mode.

What vi program are you using?

I am using 'nvi' because it is the closest to the original BSD vi
program that is available by free(dom) license.  There if I start nvi
as 'ex' then I am in ex mode.  Typing in 'vi' (the ':' is already
there in ex mode) then I enter visual mode.  But in nvi visual mode
typing in ":ex" does not turn off visual mode.  Typing in ":" does
however allow me to type in any ex command.  This is sufficient for
me.  Supposedly in nvi the Q command exits visual mode and returns to
ex mode but for whatever reason for me it says the Q command is
unknown.  This has never bothered me enough to pursue it further.  I
assume it is simply a bug in the nvi implementation.  It hasn't been
getting much love lately.

Bob

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-10-31 23:31       ` Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2015-10-31 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/31/2015 03:23 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Kendall Shaw wrote:
>> The command :ex is what I have been using in vi since 1982. In vi it
>> switches to ex (the line editor that came after ed) mode.
> What vi program are you using?
>
> I am using 'nvi' because it is the closest to the original BSD vi
> program that is available by free(dom) license.  There if I start nvi
> as 'ex' then I am in ex mode.  Typing in 'vi' (the ':' is already
> there in ex mode) then I enter visual mode.  But in nvi visual mode
> typing in ":ex" does not turn off visual mode.  Typing in ":" does
> however allow me to type in any ex command.  This is sufficient for
> me.  Supposedly in nvi the Q command exits visual mode and returns to
> ex mode but for whatever reason for me it says the Q command is
> unknown.  This has never bothered me enough to pursue it further.  I
> assume it is simply a bug in the nvi implementation.  It hasn't been
> getting much love lately.

Sorry, I am conflating some things. My train of thought was that it's
called ex because it switched/switches to ex mode in vi that was on
either Ultrix, Berkeley Unix or SunOS 4.x. But, :ex filename loaded a
file and so that was what muscle memory has been using.

I've been using vim in some form on linux for a long time and nvi on
openbsd just because it is what is/was installed by default.

Kendall

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-11-01  4:52         ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-11-01  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On 10/31/2015 03:23 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> I am using 'nvi' because it is the closest to the original BSD vi
>> program that is available by free(dom) license.

You might be interested in the heirloom project's vi. I downloaded it
mainly because I was curious about what open mode (a mode for supporting
terminals that are too dumb for a full-screen editor, including special
support for hardcopy teletypes) was, something apparently no clone has
ever implemented.

http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net

Q is a key, not a :command. I think there's some form of documentation
that carefully refers to these as "vi commands" vs "ex commands", that
may be where you got the misconception.

Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com> writes:
> Sorry, I am conflating some things. My train of thought was that it's
> called ex because it switched/switches to ex mode in vi that was on
> either Ultrix, Berkeley Unix or SunOS 4.x.

No idea, since it doesn't do it on heirloom project vi either, and none
of the versions on the unix heritage society's archive (including many
BSD versions and Ultrix-11) appear to have any code designed to do this.

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-11-01 16:07   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-11-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>> I know there is an evil list but I've tried twice
>> and had not response when trying to join.
>
> You can post through gmane.org using a news reader.

Read: using Gnus :)

When you have Gnus with Gmane up and running, you can
hit the key you in particular :) have for
`gnus-group-enter-server-mode' (I have it `S' as in
server - pretty clever, huh?).

Then goto the line that says nntp and news.gmane.org
and invoke `gnus-server-read-server' (bound to RET by
default).

Now you get a list of mailing lists/newsgroups (Gnus
and in particular Gmane makes that distinction
irrelevant which is the point in particular, in
general the point is to have access to all that
interactive material, for sure).

Anyway, now, all that remains is searching the list!

However... While there are a lot of hits for Emacs, as
well as for Vim, this is the only crossover I found:

    gmane.emacs.vim-emulation

Well, try it!

Here is all my Gnus stuff, if you are in any way
helped by that. There are Gnus groups as well,
of course:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/index.html

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: List of evil ex commands?
@ 2015-11-01 18:59           ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-11-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Random832 wrote:
> Q is a key, not a :command. I think there's some form of documentation
> that carefully refers to these as "vi commands" vs "ex commands", that
> may be where you got the misconception.

Oh!  You are exactly correct.  I was completely confused about the Q
command and was using it incorrectly.  With your help to understand it
I now see how it works and it works perfectly.  You have cleared up my
confusion.

Thank you! :-)

Bob