Alex writes: > 1. Specifying the pixel width to the left/center/right of the text area. > This is helpful (I believe it's necessary if I want it to be robust) > when one wants to pad either side of a string with the same number of > pixels and the left side uses (:align-to 0). > > I could use (:width (+ left-fringe left-margin)) for the right > padding, but this doesn't take into account line-number display, as > well as the scroll-bar width (if it's on the left). > > 2. Specifying the pixel position relative to the left or right edge of > the window. The right edge of the window currently may be the right > edge of the right fringe or the scroll bar, depending on what side it > is on. Also, just in the case that in the future the > fringe/scroll-bar may not be the outermost elements, there should be > a way to explicitly specify one of the edges. Here's a diff that implements both #1 and #2: