Maybe a good transition path is to add an explicit (opt-in) parent buffer mechanism when creating a buffer, and adding a hook when a buffer is created *without* explicitly setting the parent (or explicitly setting it to null) so the user can plug their own heuristics in until legacy modules catch up. John Wiegley writes: >>>>>> Richard Stallman writes: > >> * specify, when creating a buffer, what parent buffer (if any) it should >> have. > >> I think the second way will be better controlled, because it won't depend on >> heuristics. > > I think so too, except that it won't work well with legacy modules, if they > weren't written with such inheritance in mind. > > -- > John Wiegley GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F > http://newartisans.com 60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2