all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [macOS] Toggle fullscreen on Emacs26.1+ with undecorated frame option set to t
@ 2018-06-07 18:15 Boris Buliga
From: Boris Buliga @ 2018-06-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey folks,

With the release of Emacs 26.1 there is an option to create undecorated
frames
(without title, toolbar etc). This is possible by adding following code to
your
init.el file:

  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(undecorated . t))

Or, for testing purposes, you can run it by starting emacs with as follows:

  $ emacs -q --execute "(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(undecorated .
t))"

After that, if you call toggle-frame-fullscreen, Emacs goes to native
fullscreen
mode and instead of resizing the frame to cover all screen it stays the same
size as before toggling fullscreen, but with black space around.

The other thing, if you are using applications like Spectacle (for quickly
moving/resizing windows in macOS) or tile managers, then the Emacs frame is
moved, but doesn't change the size.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

I've checked the implementation in src/nsterm.m file and tried modifying
definition of FRAME_DECORATED_FLAGS from

  #define FRAME_UNDECORATED_FLAGS NSWindowStyleMaskBorderless

  #define FRAME_UNDECORATED_FLAGS NSWindowStyleMaskBorderless |
NSWindowStyleMaskResizable

and creating EmacsFSWindow instead of EmacsWindow (so canBecomeKeyWindow and
canBecomeMainWindow both return YES).

But it didn't make the trick. It seems that my C/Objective-C -fu is not
enough,
so I ask for help.

Just to make it clear, I've tried to test this using emacs provided by

  $ brew cask install emacs

Version in 26.1

Would be glad for any advice/help.

Cheers,
Boris

* Re: [macOS] Toggle fullscreen on Emacs26.1+ with undecorated frame option set to t
@ 2018-06-08  9:12 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-06-08  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boris Buliga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Boris Buliga <boris@d12frosted.io> writes:

> Hey folks,
>
> With the release of Emacs 26.1 there is an option to create undecorated
> frames
> (without title, toolbar etc). This is possible by adding following code to
> your
> init.el file:
>
>   (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(undecorated . t))
>
> Or, for testing purposes, you can run it by starting emacs with as follows:
>
>   $ emacs -q --execute "(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(undecorated .
> t))"
>
> After that, if you call toggle-frame-fullscreen, Emacs goes to native
> fullscreen
> mode and instead of resizing the frame to cover all screen it stays the same
> size as before toggling fullscreen, but with black space around.

I donʼt see this under X11, so itʼs probably specific to Mac. Your
best bet is probably to report an emacs bug using 'report-emacs-bug'.

Robert

* Re: [macOS] Toggle fullscreen on Emacs26.1+ with undecorated frame option set to t
@ 2018-06-08  9:55   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-06-08  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> With the release of Emacs 26.1 there is an option to create undecorated
>> frames
>> (without title, toolbar etc). This is possible by adding following code

I go full screen or half-full screen
on macos Emacs 26.1 and get plain
frames without needing to change the
NS or Mac port.

* Re: [macOS] Toggle fullscreen on Emacs26.1+ with undecorated frame option set to t
@ 2018-06-08  9:59     ` Boris Buliga
From: Boris Buliga @ 2018-06-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: van; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@Rober Pluim

Hey. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check this out with X11 as well to be
sure.

@Van L

I don't quite understand your message. I am not talking about
emacs-mac-port vs regular Emacs.

--

@ 2018-06-08 10:04       ` Van L
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1481.1528458730.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Van L @ 2018-06-08 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> @Van L
>
> I don't quite understand your message. I am not talking about
> emacs-mac-port vs regular Emacs.

The NS port I refer to builds from the same source as regular Emacs.

The Mac port is icing on the regular Emacs cake.

On macos they both provide undecorated frame out of the box when zooming to fullscreen.

@ 2018-06-08 11:51         ` Boris Buliga
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1481.1528458730.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Boris Buliga @ 2018-06-08 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: van; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Val L

I still don't get your point. :(

1. I am not talking about emacs-mac-port, but about official GNU Emacs,
without any patches/modifications rather than stated in the first message
(e. g. changing the value of frame options).
2. I am talking about situation, when setting `undecorated` frame option to
`t` breaks maximization, fullscreen and other size changes.

Sorry if it's something obvious that I miss.

--

@ 2018-06-08 14:08           ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2018-06-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1. I am not talking about emacs-mac-port, but about official GNU Emacs,
> without any patches/modifications

Even if you are using the same source the options used at compilation
time might be different to van L.  Try to post what you get from

C-h v system-configuration-options
M-x display-about-screen

* Re: [macOS] Toggle fullscreen on Emacs26.1+ with undecorated frame option set to t
@ 2018-06-08 14:33             ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-06-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Javier <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

>> 1. I am not talking about emacs-mac-port, but about official GNU Emacs,
>> without any patches/modifications
>
> Even if you are using the same source the options used at compilation
> time might be different to van L.  Try to post what you get from
>
> C-h v system-configuration-options
> M-x display-about-screen

Better: run 'report-emacs-bug' which will gather all this information
and more, and get you in touch with people who might be able to fix
it.

Robert

* Re: [macOS] Toggle fullscreen on Emacs26.1+ with undecorated frame option set to t
@ 2018-06-08 23:40           ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-06-08 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Boris Buliga writes: