Juri Linkov writes: > It's already possible to do this by typing in isearch: > > M-s h l > M-n M-n M-n RET > > because the third default value of hi-lock commands is > the last isearch string. > > Its only difference is that it quits isearch, but I wonder > is it really useful to keep isearch active after running > this hi-lock command? I guess this is true, but that requires 5 extra keystrokes and extra knowledge: I didn't know about this default, and it didn't even work until I updated my 2-month-old emacs Given that 'M-s h r' is handled specially in isearch already, it only makes sense that 'M-s h l' would be too. And there's no down side to supporting this at all. I'm attaching a new patch. It does away with the weird macro thing I was doing (don't know why I was doing that), and adds notes in the NEWS and the documentation. Thanks.