As part of switching Gnus group names to fully-decoded strings, I left some code (really horrible code) in place to make sure that the group names stayed in their previous encoding in Gnus' save files, so that people running Emacs from git builds could switch back and forth without worrying about the save files becoming unreadable. Right now, there are several routines in place that decode non-ascii group names on file read, and re-encode them on file write. This only has an effect on non-ascii group names. Now Emacs 27.1 is on its way, and I would really like to make this change permanent. The attached patch moves all the ugly compatibility code into an upgrade routine as part of `gnus-convert-old-newsrc'. Users will be prompted once to upgrade, and then the various files will be fixed to use properly encoded group names, and you won't be able to go back. Again, this only affects users who had non-ascii group names to begin with.