However, setting goal-column disables line-move-visual, so and only move by logical lines through the multiline elements. I also tried let-binding goal-column instead of setting it, but that had no effect, i.e., same as the second patch above. One difference between navigating through file-name-history or buffer-name-history and navigating through extended-command-history is that with the former, points is always at the end of the history element (with my proposed change, otherwise at least at the end of a visual line), while with the latter, point starts out at the beginning of the history element. The goal-column problem seems likely to be related to this difference, but I currently don't have a solution for it. So until someone comes up with one, it may be best to stick with the status quo. Steve Berman